Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Gear Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM
bilbob2
1st Gear Member

Question Checking Gear Ratio

My mechanic wants to check my gear ratio to make sure
a place put the correct gears in when they installed them on my Mustang GT.

He said he did not want to spin the back tires and said the speedo won't tell for sure.

He wants to check the actual stamp.
He said he has to take something off the rear end to do it.

I am guessing it is the housing... is that right?
Also... if he does this is there a risk of messing anything up?

Does he have to replace anything or can he use the same parts?

I know nothing about it so I dunno if he has to take off the parts called the pinion nut or pinion seal or anything like that.

I heard that you are supposed to use new ones of these when you take them off.

The gears were put in about a month ago.
I really don't want to get into why we are checking.
I just need to know if he checks are there any parts he is
going to have to replace to make sure it does not leak after.

Thx.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Why the heck doesn't he want to spin the rear tires? There is no possible danger by hand-spinning them. The easiest way to do it is to jack the car up so both rear wheels are off the ground and spin the driveshaft (assuming the car's in neutral). This puts no stress on the drivetrain that it isn't designed to handle, and gives you better leverage. Make a chalk line on the side of the tire and line it up to a piece of painter's tape on the fender. Make another chalk line (or sharpie, it's not like anybody's gonna see it) on the bottom of the driveshaft. Spin the driveshaft 3.5 times; if the tire is past its tape mark, you have 3.31s. If the tire is very near the tape mark, you have 3.55s, if it's not quite at the tape mark, you have 3.73s, and if it's nowhere near the tape mark, you have 4.10s.

If you are unsure between the last two, complete the 4th revolution on the driveshaft (so you've spun it 4 times). If the tire is now past the tape mark, you have 3.73s. If it hasn't quite reached it yet, you have 4.10s.

This is very simple, and you can do it yourself with a jack and two jackstands. You don't even need to take it to a mechanic. Especially one who is scared to turn your back wheels? Very strange.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 PM
bilbob2
1st Gear Member

As I said before this is the way he wants to do it.
We have checked using the other method but he wants to check the stamp for reasons
I am not going to get into. Has nothing to do with being scared to rotate back wheels.

Sorry if I made you misunderstand the first post.
When I said he did not want to spin the back tire I didn't mean it that way.
I meant that he had but that for a certain reason we have to check the stamp.

I am very aware about how to do the other method.
That is not what I am asking

I am not trying to be rude hahaaha.
I just need to find out the information I am looking for.
Thx.

Last edited by bilbob2; 07-16-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

You are making it somewhat difficult for us to help you when there are all kinds of things you don't want to get into.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

As I said before this is the way he wants to do it.
Not to sound like a douche, but why even ask here? It's your car/ your mechanic...It's obvious you're not looking for ideas to test which gears you have installed. It's like you're asking for someone to vouch for this "mechanic" you've found... Thats silly. Who the hell's gonna do that?

And this..

I just need to know if he checks are there any parts he is
going to have to replace to make sure it does not leak after.
If this "mechanic" doesn't know what he needs, he's not a mechanic and you shouldn't let him breathe on your car.

Last edited by MOOK3456; 07-16-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
bilbob2
1st Gear Member

MOOK3456:
It's obvious you're not looking for ideas to test which gears you have installed. It's like you're asking for someone to vouch for this "mechanic" you've found...
Umm yes that is obvious. My first post should let you know that.
I was not ever asking for different ideas to test.
I was asking about having to replace parts IF you did it by checking the stamp and taking off the rear housing or whatever.

I had the gears installed somewhere else.
There is a reason we both want to make absolutely sure 100% without a doubt that these are the right gears.
Me not saying the reasons or giving every little detail makes it no more difficult to answer the question, and I don't see why
me not telling all the details seems to anger or insult some of you.
This I just do not understand.

We are going to do it after this weekend. I have no way of getting in touch with him until then to ask him these questions I have.
But I want to know before I get up there if anything will have to be replaced with new parts.
For my OWN education and knowledge. I don't want to be COMPLETELY ignorant on everything he is doing when I get up there.

How am I making the question I asked difficult just by not
giving all the details of the story of WHY we are wanting to check this way?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I am asking is are there any parts that are going to have to be replaced when doing it this way by checking the stamp, and if not
replacing some parts with new ones could risk a leak.

I was also wondering if we are going to have to replace the gear oil and if so do we need to use the same brand they used on the
install because I don't know if all the gear oil will be coming out or just some.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not see how me not giving the details of the specific reasons for having to do this makes it difficult to answer the question.

I am not asking anyone to vouch for anyone.
My mechanic knows what he needs.
I am asking for MYSELF so that I will know when I go in there and I am talking to him about it before it is done.

I am trying to educate myself.

So please... if anyone misunderstood my first post I am sorry.
And again I am not trying to be rude.
But the way I am being responded to I am considering a bit rude.

So can we all just drop the reasons why and can someone just please be so kind as to let me
know about my question?
I am not trying to cause any kind of debate here.
I do not understand why I am getting hostility.

Sorry for anything I did wrong.

Last edited by bilbob2; 07-17-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 PM
bilbob2
1st Gear Member

Can someone please help me with these questions?

I would really appreciate it!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:12 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I would think if you can see the stamp on the gears without removing them,
then all you need is synthetic 75w-140, friction modifier and a tube of good gasket maker for the cover.
When he pulls the cover you lose the fluid.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bilbob2
Umm yes that is obvious. My first post should let you know that.
I was not ever asking for different ideas to test.
I was asking about having to replace parts IF you did it by checking the stamp and taking off the rear housing or whatever.

I had the gears installed somewhere else.
There is a reason we both want to make absolutely sure 100% without a doubt that these are the right gears.
Me not saying the reasons or giving every little detail makes it no more difficult to answer the question, and I don't see why
me not telling all the details seems to anger or insult some of you.
This I just do not understand.

We are going to do it after this weekend. I have no way of getting in touch with him until then to ask him these questions I have.
But I want to know before I get up there if anything will have to be replaced with new parts.
For my OWN education and knowledge. I don't want to be COMPLETELY ignorant on everything he is doing when I get up there.

How am I making the question I asked difficult just by not
giving all the details of the story of WHY we are wanting to check this way?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I am asking is are there any parts that are going to have to be replaced when doing it this way by checking the stamp, and if not
replacing some parts with new ones could risk a leak.

I was also wondering if we are going to have to replace the gear oil and if so do we need to use the same brand they used on the
install because I don't know if all the gear oil will be coming out or just some.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not see how me not giving the details of the specific reasons for having to do this makes it difficult to answer the question.

I am not asking anyone to vouch for anyone.
My mechanic knows what he needs.
I am asking for MYSELF so that I will know when I go in there and I am talking to him about it before it is done.

I am trying to educate myself.

So please... if anyone misunderstood my first post I am sorry.
And again I am not trying to be rude.
But the way I am being responded to I am considering a bit rude.

So can we all just drop the reasons why and can someone just please be so kind as to let me
know about my question?
I am not trying to cause any kind of debate here.
I do not understand why I am getting hostility.

Sorry for anything I did wrong.
It's not hostility and you didn't do anything wrong. However after reading your original posts about your gears and now asking what parts your MECHANIC will need...It just makes no sense.

If he is a mechanic, he should know exactly what he needs and should be able to relate that to you as well as any other concerns you may have as your mechanic. Why should you have to ask here? I'm not suggesting you shouldn't ask here, I'm suggesting you shouldn't "have to" seeing as how you're paying this guy. To me thats a huge red flag if the mechanic can't even tell me what parts will be needed to check/fix/whatever something on my car. Your next post after messing with this guy will be "Help! Bad gear whine!" or "Help! I have a bad seal!!" because you didn't take it to someone competent.

My only point really was this-again-

If this "mechanic" doesn't know what he needs, he's not a mechanic and you shouldn't let him breathe on your car.
If what I'm saying to you seems hostile, I'm sorry it isn't...It's just frustrating to see this kind of stuff (people running in circles with bad mechanics/garages). Find a "REAL" mechanic and get your gears squared away once and for all and stop messing with idiots. This is like the 4th thread you've made regarding your gear issues. How many will it take before you take the hint and stop letting fools near your ride? Yes, your new mechanic is a fool, otherwise he would know how to tell what gears you have without all the bs work he wants to do to it to jack up his labor cost.

Gee...put it on a lift and spin the drive shaft....15 min....nah! Get it on the lift and take my sweet time yanking it apart and slapping it back together for a couple hours @$87.00/hr (or w/e he's charging).... Wow, tough choice...

Last edited by MOOK3456; 07-17-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:12 PM
bilbob2
1st Gear Member

MOOK,

He's actually not charging me any labor for it at all.
And no this mechanic is not a fool.
Again you are assuming things. He knows that I feel uncomfortable
and want to know 100% without a doubt.
He is checking it for FREE.

The other place I went to that I was having problems with is the REASON I am here now at the is point making 100% sure
everything is o.k. with someone else. Someone that I actually know to a degree. I just never knew he was a mechanic until
a couple of days ago.

Yes I made multiple threads about my trouble... but I wanted to try to get them all worked out by the shop that I paid before going to a shop
and paying AGAIN. Is there something wrong with that?
And when you go to a place and have such trouble... it tells you in the future to educate YOURSELF as much as possible
before doing something else.

I said just up there in my last post that this mechanic knew everything he needed and what he needed to do with this process.

I said that it was for my OWN education that I was asking these questions. I said that I could not get in touch with him before the weekend was over to ask him these questions. That is why he cannot answer these questions... NOT because he does not know or does not know or does not know
how to explain things well. It is because I cannot get in touch with him over the weekend and I would like to know before I go up there.
As I said... I even explained this in the post above.

So what exactly does this have to do with this mechanic's
skill or knowledge at ALL?
NOTHING.
Why are you saying he is a fool after I explained this in my above post?
That is flat out rude.

Fact of the matter is there is no reason for you to be frustrated.

I asked him to do it this way so that we could make 100% sure.
Spinning the wheels can leave room for error no matter how little or how less often someone actually messes up on doing it.

The only way I am going to feel 100% secure is if I get the badge checked. He agreed that it is the best way to get my worries behind me. He is doing it for free.
AS A KIND FAVOR.

So what exactly is wrong with this mechanic again?

As for choices..... go on wondering and having that little thing in the back of my head asking me if they REALLY got it right... or have
someone show me without a doubt it is right and do it for free? Wow, tough choice eh?

Last edited by bilbob2; 07-17-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Checking Gear Ratio