Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Gear Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 PM
bilbob2
1st Gear Member

By the way ...

Thanks rls82959.
I appreciate the help.
If rls82959 missed anything everybody feel free to let me know.
I would greatly appreciate the help just as I appreciate the help he gave me.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

No problem. Getting an answer to a question can be difficult at times.
None of my business why you want to do this.
Good luck.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bilbob2
The gears were put in about a month ago.
I really don't want to get into why we are checking.
I just need to know if he checks are there any parts he is
going to have to replace to make sure it does not leak after.
The problems in this thread external to the axle inspection methods themselves came from being secretive about the reason this work needs to be done.

You're apparently unhappy with the other shop's install for some reason, and your current mechanic wants to know exactly whose parts and what part numbers are in there. There is nothing in that level of information that needs to be considered confidential. No parts mfr or shop is identified.

You needed to ask your mechanic exactly what needed to be removed (cover, gasket, fluid) in order to check whatever it it that needs checking and what had to be replaced (ditto, unless there's something else going on inside the axle that you have not mentioned yet). And get him to explain in greater detail if you did not understand anything.

It's been too long since I did a ring & pinion R&R to remember what or where any markings were located to say if anything more than cover removal would be involved. I think there may still be some information that we don't know yet.

Norm
Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bilbob2
MOOK,

He's actually not charging me any labor for it at all.
And no this mechanic is not a fool.
Again you are assuming things. He knows that I feel uncomfortable
and want to know 100% without a doubt.
He is checking it for FREE.

The other place I went to that I was having problems with is the REASON I am here now at the is point making 100% sure
everything is o.k. with someone else. Someone that I actually know to a degree. I just never knew he was a mechanic until
a couple of days ago.

Yes I made multiple threads about my trouble... but I wanted to try to get them all worked out by the shop that I paid before going to a shop
and paying AGAIN. Is there something wrong with that?
And when you go to a place and have such trouble... it tells you in the future to educate YOURSELF as much as possible
before doing something else.

I said just up there in my last post that this mechanic knew everything he needed and what he needed to do with this process.

I said that it was for my OWN education that I was asking these questions. I said that I could not get in touch with him before the weekend was over to ask him these questions. That is why he cannot answer these questions... NOT because he does not know or does not know or does not know
how to explain things well. It is because I cannot get in touch with him over the weekend and I would like to know before I go up there.
As I said... I even explained this in the post above.

So what exactly does this have to do with this mechanic's
skill or knowledge at ALL?
NOTHING.
Why are you saying he is a fool after I explained this in my above post?
That is flat out rude.

Fact of the matter is there is no reason for you to be frustrated.

I asked him to do it this way so that we could make 100% sure.
Spinning the wheels can leave room for error no matter how little or how less often someone actually messes up on doing it.

The only way I am going to feel 100% secure is if I get the badge checked. He agreed that it is the best way to get my worries behind me. He is doing it for free.
AS A KIND FAVOR.

So what exactly is wrong with this mechanic again?

As for choices..... go on wondering and having that little thing in the back of my head asking me if they REALLY got it right... or have
someone show me without a doubt it is right and do it for free? Wow, tough choice eh?

If thats the case and I assumed wrong then I apologize. But it still sounds odd to say the least. You say there's room for error, no there isn't unless spinning a marked drive shaft 3.5 turns and marking the fender/wheel is too difficult to figure out... I dunno, maybe it is. But whatever, it's your car. Best of luck and I do hope you don't get screwed again.

@Norm, the info is in his other threads. Here -And here

Last edited by MOOK3456; 07-18-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Thanks, mook.

Counting driveshaft and tire revolutions and doing a little division should be a sufficiently idiot-proof method.

Working with simple-calculated tire revolutions is not.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/7110955-post49.html

These three threads should probably be merged.

Norm
Old 07-18-2010, 02:53 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Holy crap, it just dawned on me that you're the guy that's posted like eleven threads, all freaking the f*** out about this gear change. You really need to just sell the car and buy an '86 Honda Civic, man... you just aren't cut out for the world of car modification.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

To answer the posted question.

2 Qt of Motorcraft 75W140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant
4 oz bottle of Motorcraft XL3 Friction Modifier
Sealer for the rear axle cover (Ford doesnt use a gasket and I dont either)
Something to grind or scrape the old sealer off the cover
Basic Hand Tools

I only use 2 oz of Friction Modifier initially and add a little more if I get any chatter when going around corners. The manual calls for a touch more fluid but I never need over the amount stated to reach the designated level (which is NOT even with the fill hole),
Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM
bilbob2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

You needed to ask your mechanic exactly what needed to be removed (cover, gasket, fluid) in order to check whatever it it that needs checking and what had to be replaced (ditto, unless there's something else going on inside the axle that you have not mentioned yet). And get him to explain in greater detail if you did not understand anything.

It's been too long since I did a ring & pinion R&R to remember what or where any markings were located to say if anything more than cover removal would be involved. I think there may still be some information that we don't know yet.

Norm
Thanks. Are you saying you need to replace the cover with a new one? I can't tell if that is what you are saying or not.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You should not need a new cover as long as the old one wasn't bent beyond recovery during the removal process.

The flatness of the mating surfaces is important for good long-term sealing - I'll trust gaskets or sealing goop to deal with normal surface roughness but not open gaps. I'll gently tap flat any unevenness that I might find around the cover's bolt holes as well.

Norm
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
bilbob2
1st Gear Member

Thanks Norm,

One last question.
How long do you think this would take him to do?

Again thx.

Quick Reply: Checking Gear Ratio