Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

werid problem with windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 PM
moetpoppin

Default werid problem with windows

I am having problems with the windows in an 07 mustang. The switches do not work, however, the windows still move up and down automatically when I open the doors. I feel like it could be a fuse problem but when I checked the manual, both sides of the car have separate fuses for each window motor. I seriously doubt that both window motor fuses would have blown simultaneously, and why would they still do the normal automatic movement when opening the door? What other problem could be causing this? I was thinking maybe a harness somewhere is loose, but the door locks and switches on both sides still function properly. Where else could I be running into this problem? Any help would be great! Thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Check this: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1

You should be able to find the wiring diagram info. Are you experiencing any other problems besides that?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Just a thought: Did you try the window switch on the passenger side door? Perhaps there is an issue with the electrical connection to the driver side switch assembly.

If that one works, it would either be a bad switch assembly (doubtful) or a bad/disconnected electrical connection to the switch.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 PM
moetpoppin

Yes I had tried both window switches, drivers door and passengers door. This was actually a question i posted for a friend since his father spoiled him with a new mustang a few years ago but he knows nothing about cars.
I repaired a botched attempt at installing an amplifier and subwoofer system in his car. Some kid told him that he could install a system in his car, but I told him it would be a little tricky in the new Mustangs with the Shaker 500 system so he should investigate where this friend got this "experience." How ever, it turns out the kid had no idea what to anticipate with an installation with a stock radio, nonetheless a stock radio that is factory amplified. He butchered the car's wiring system, was not prepared and had no amplifier installation kit with the power wires and RCA interconnects. Then when he made a trip to the store to get an amp kit, he gets to his house and started to putting the wires in, and then gets to the back of the radio, and is confused when it doesn't have a simple wiring system and RCAs like his aftermarket radio.
Then this is where I get involved again. My friend gives me a call and asks what they need to get in order to hook up the amp to the signals from the stereo, and I tell them about a line output converter, it turns high power speaker wire into an RCA connection. Then they go to the store yet again and pick a line output converter. Then this friend of his gets to the back of the radio and has no idea what to do with this type of equipment, and ends up calling his friend, who also has no idea what to do, but he claims to and begins to snip at wires in the harness hoping that it is the right one. After six hours, nothing works, the car wont start and it has started pouring down rain with my friends back seat outside. So my friend finally gets his car charged and races out of there pissed off beyond belief. He comes to me at like 3 in the morning and I immediately point out all the problems. These kids were basically just playing doctor with his mustang when they are used to their own older and lower quality cars. The next morning my friend comes over and I spend a few minutes getting things together and then spending about an hour having to mend the problems that these kids caused.
All in all, I finish setting up his system, and it bumps and the only thing left not working, are his windows. I felt terrible letting him leave with this new problem, but assuring him that it was probably something simple, like a fuse. I check the driver side kick panel but there is no interior fuse panel. Then under the hood I check the fuses, but the underside of the box cover did not have a description, only numbers and ratings of their corresponding fuses.

Today, I tell him to start checking the fuses, however he has no idea where and what they are. I tell him to check the manual, and he says that there is nothing about fuses in there. (this kid is clueless)

Eventually, he finds out that the fuse blown was the Accessory fuse. So if anyone has a problem where both window switches stop working simultaneously, theres a good chance that the accessory fuse has blown. Because there is no way that two separate window motor fuses would blow at the same time.

Now my friend has a nice sound system in his car, and a fully functioning car. Far from how these kids left him and his nice car stranded.
=)