Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Rod Cams / CMCV Delete Plates are In !

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Default Hot Rod Cams / CMCV Delete Plates are In !

Finished up the install yesterday and so far everything is perfect. The Chris Rose tune is spot on - no driveability issues whatsoever. Also painted the valve covers Ford Blue while I was at it. I would like to thank Hammeron for his awesome write-up, and help along the way. I even had to telephone him a few times, and he was very friendly and helpful. Hammer, If you're ever in DFW I owe you a steak dinner !

I also need to mention the outstanding customer service at Freedom Racing. I rented their modified design of the valve spring compressor along with the timing chain wedge tool. I was having a little difficulty with the compressor and when I called them about it they said they were making some changes to it and would overnight me the new tool out for no charge. They sent me an email explaining that the tool accidentally went out USPS Priority instead of UPS Next Day, and knowing that I wanted to finish this up this weekend, the owner actually drove 10 miles to the next town to meet the UPS driver with another tool. Received it Friday, just in time. Anyone doing a cam swap, I highly recommend renting the tools from them. Here's a link to the tool:
http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/3V-...39-1175-TD.htm

Here's a photo of the valve covers and a crappy video. This is still with the stock mufflers, but it sounds pretty dang good to me. I'll have to decide if I want some different mufflers later.........

Last edited by Hagwood; 07-20-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

That is soooo cool!!! I think it sounds awesome! And kudos to you for a job well done on the self install.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Thanks SaddleUP. It was a little stressful, but I did enjoy it. I haven't done anything that deep to a motor since the 70's and 80's with the old muscle cars !
Old 07-19-2010, 11:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

the cam covers came out great and that is one clean engine bay Hagwood! congrats to you for installing your cams, i know it's a great feeling when you turn the key and the engine comes to life. welcome to the cammed crew.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:47 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Noice.

The cams sound great!
Maybe it's only me, but I prefer the stock mufflers, being that they are not overwhelming with too much sound.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Hagwood - How does it drive? Any noticeable low-end torque loss?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
Hagwood - How does it drive? Any noticeable low-end torque loss?
Drives great - no noticeable loss of low end, and 95% stock driveability. The Chris Rose tune is awesome, no idle problems, and no surging or bucking coming to a stop. Gonna go out at lunch today at romp on it so I can see how she does !
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Maybe it's only me, but I prefer the stock mufflers, being that they are not overwhelming with too much sound.
I think you're right - the stock mufflers do sound good with the longtubes and high flow cats. I'm not into crazy loud anymore. Maybe I'll just get some nice tips for them.......
Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Wow Hagwood... AWESOME!

I can't believe you had NO hunting idle at all!
Usually that is given with the first tune from what I have heard from people.

Nice paint job on the engine too!

I can't wait to get my car back to normal again.
I feel like I have been through a damn tornado.

Out of curiosity, when you throw her in neutral and are coasting in motion.... how far down do your RPM's go before holding?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
IA_Chiefs_fan
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hagwood
I also need to mention the outstanding customer service at Freedom Racing. I rented their modified design of the valve spring compressor along with the timing chain wedge tool. I was having a little difficulty with the compressor and when I called them about it they said they were making some changes to it and would overnight me the new tool out for no charge. They sent me an email explaining that the tool accidentally went out USPS Priority instead of UPS Next Day, and knowing that I wanted to finish this up this weekend, the owner actually drove 10 miles to the next town to meet the UPS driver with another tool. Received it Friday, just in time. Anyone doing a cam swap, I highly recommend renting the tools from them.
Hagwood, sorry for the confusion, but there was no way we were going to keep a Stang owner from getting his cams installed! I'm glad to hear everything worked out well and we appreciate your business. Now go drive your Mustang like it is supposed to be driven!

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Cams / CMCV Delete Plates are In !