Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust area rattle -- need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust area rattle -- need help

A while back I had my Boomtubes adjusted and ever since then I've noticed a rattle originating from the exhaust area. The strange thing is, this rattle is ONLY heard at initial start-up. After about 30 seconds to a minute the rattle is gone. I could drive around all day on a rough road and hear nothing.

Any idea where this rattle could be coming from? Obviously it sounds like something is warming up after a bit making the rattle go away but I can't imagine what would do this so quickly.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The exhaust area?
You are going to have to be more specific.
Are you talking about the exhaust tip area where you connected the boomtubes?

If you had them adjusted in that area and had no rattle before... then common sense tells you that it was adjusted wrong and that is the area the rattle is coming from.

Could be a hangar problem, could be not bolted on quite tight enough, could be touching something.

Maybe the point where it is not correct settles in that spot after the car is not run for a while and the initial startup rattles it until it just goes back into place.

You are going to have to get under there and play around with it.
Let the car sit and when it is cold go under and see if you can shake anything or if anything feels loose.
Id just take them off and start from scratch and keep a close eye on everything you are doing. Or if you had them installed go back to the shop and they can help you with it.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Mine is the exact opposite. Sounds great/fine when I first start it but after a while driving it starts to rattle. Nothing big though, and it's a Mustang so I don't really let it bother me.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it's occuring on initial startup, then I suspect that it goes away as the system heats up which could be clamps that need tightening or a harmonic vibration. The exhaust harmonics change as the exhaust and engine warm up and there are issues with heat shields rattling at certain frequencies.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
Mine is the exact opposite. Sounds great/fine when I first start it but after a while driving it starts to rattle. Nothing big though, and it's a Mustang so I don't really let it bother me.
Check your hanger-to-frame clearances both cold and then hot. As the system expands from heat, the hangers have been known to touch the frame on some setups.

Last edited by Nuke; 07-21-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Check your hanger-to-frame clearances both cold and then hot. As the system expands from heat, the hangers have been nown to touch the frame on some setups.
Yeah I'm going to have to check that out sometime. Thanks Nuke
Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

+1
Heat Shields

Originally Posted by Nuke
If it's occuring on initial startup, then I suspect that it goes away as the system heats up which could be clamps that need tightening or a harmonic vibration. The exhaust harmonics change as the exhaust and engine warm up and there are issues with heat shields rattling at certain frequencies.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I don't see why it would be the heat shields though if he did not have this problem before he adjusted his mufflers.
If he messed with an x pipe or something I could imagine heat shields more.

Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Hecubus28

I had this problem. On one the hanger was touching the car when it was cold rattle at startup. On the other side it touched the frame when it heated it.

It was touching on the back hangers where the end of the metal rod sticks out from the hanger.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Hecubus28
I had this problem. On one the hanger was touching the car when it was cold rattle at startup. On the other side it touched the frame when it heated it.

It was touching on the back hangers where the end of the metal rod sticks out from the hanger.
That sounds more like what I'd expect his problem to be.
Needs to shake his mufflers to see exactly what they are doing and secure those hangers.

Quick Reply: Exhaust area rattle -- need help