Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few modificaitons.//

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:53 PM
MDUB3921

Default A few modificaitons.//

(Moved since it was in the wrong section)

Hey guys,

I hope this is in the right section. If not, pardon me as I'm quite new to the forum. However, I wanted to get some answers from you guys about some modifications I've been wanting to do to my car.

I purchased good old Jack about 2 weeks ago. He's a black 2009 Deluxe, and I bloody love him. However, as with most cars, there are things I want to add to him. I was hoping you guys could answer some questions for me.

(PS: Aside from very basic minor things, I plan to have all of these modifications done by a professional. I'm not an idiot >_>)

#1: I plan on getting silver stripes for him. However, the real deal is a tad too expensive for me at this point. Are the tape-based stripes reliable? Or should I just wait and not get the stripes at all? I don't want to mess up the finish on the car and be left with some peeling, nasty sticker stripe in a year's time.

#2: Are there any good do-it-yourself, adhesive-based 2009 Mustang spoilers available for under $250? Or is it better to just wait and have it done by a professional and get all bolted in and such?

#3: Does anyone know a site where I can buy the Chrome Bullit Fuel Doors for somewhat cheap? I've searched and everything is in the $70-100 range.

#4: I was planning on buying and installing adhesive-based louvers on the side windows. Would it be better to wait and, like the spoiler, get them bolted? Or are they reliable enough to do myself?

Please note guys that this IS my first car and I am relatively newbish when it comes to car stuff, so while I'm sure I can learn to do most of this stuff, if anything takes a lot of know-how I might indeed mess it up.

I appreciate all help I'm given. Thank you.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MDUB3921
(Moved since it was in the wrong section)

Hey guys,

I hope this is in the right section. If not, pardon me as I'm quite new to the forum. However, I wanted to get some answers from you guys about some modifications I've been wanting to do to my car.

I purchased good old Jack about 2 weeks ago. He's a black 2009 Deluxe, and I bloody love him. However, as with most cars, there are things I want to add to him. I was hoping you guys could answer some questions for me.

(PS: Aside from very basic minor things, I plan to have all of these modifications done by a professional. I'm not an idiot >_>)

#1: I plan on getting silver stripes for him. However, the real deal is a tad too expensive for me at this point. Are the tape-based stripes reliable? Or should I just wait and not get the stripes at all? I don't want to mess up the finish on the car and be left with some peeling, nasty sticker stripe in a year's time.

Vinyl stripe kits are fairly cheap and look good. Some prefer to paint them but nobody will scoff at you for having vinyl. They hold up pretty well, I believe the "average" life span of them are 5-7 years. Check here for some- http://www.graphic-express.com/

#2: Are there any good do-it-yourself, adhesive-based 2009 Mustang spoilers available for under $250? Or is it better to just wait and have it done by a professional and get all bolted in and such?

DO NOT put any spoiler on your car that doesn't bolt on. It's not a question of if it will fly off but when. Like this idiot- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rko9Oe05pKM

#3: Does anyone know a site where I can buy the Chrome Bullit Fuel Doors for somewhat cheap? I've searched and everything is in the $70-100 range.

Haven't seen 'em much cheaper myself.

#4: I was planning on buying and installing adhesive-based louvers on the side windows. Would it be better to wait and, like the spoiler, get them bolted? Or are they reliable enough to do myself?

They are reliable, at least some are. I'd stay away from the ones that have the ribbing on the underside that the tape attaches to. Some have had problems with those.

Please note guys that this IS my first car and I am relatively newbish when it comes to car stuff, so while I'm sure I can learn to do most of this stuff, if anything takes a lot of know-how I might indeed mess it up.

I appreciate all help I'm given. Thank you.

Everything you posted is simple to do yourself (although I'd probably have the striping done pro). No need to waste money paying someone to do what you can easily do at home. Enjoy "Jack".

Last edited by MOOK3456; 08-01-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

RICE, Figures!!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
rpietro
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
RICE, Figures!!
+1....LOL
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
MDUB3921

What...?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I have had no issues with my taped on 3D Carbon duck tail spoiler. It's been on the car for a year and a half now. No problem. Haven't heard of any problems with Roush guys losing their spoilers either...

Sorry Mook, but you're wrong.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
I have had no issues with my taped on 3D Carbon duck tail spoiler. It's been on the car for a year and a half now. No problem. Haven't heard of any problems with Roush guys losing their spoilers either...

Sorry Mook, but you're wrong.
Ive had zero problems with my roush spoiler. But that could be the ten bolts i have holding it down
The adhesive can be very strong if done right, but i didnt want my $400 spoiler at risk of flying off so i went with the bolts and tape. My louvers have been stuck on over a year though. Just follow all prep steps and the tape is strong. Prep is everything
Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I know that there have been a few guys that haven't drilled into their cars and are only using the tape. My spoiler isn't going anywhere that I don't want it to.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 AM
rpietro
1st Gear Member

Like Shadow says..."prep is everything"
Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Lol @ that video, thats a classic as well. Why would you name your car with a guys name? Isn't it like standard for it to be a girl's name? Lol.