Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank issue question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Maybe it's a cheeseburger blocking the way!
I know. No help at all.

Guess not being able to gas up is not part of the 5 year powertrain warranty. Jeez.

Cheers.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Maybe it's a cheeseburger blocking the way!
I know. No help at all.

Guess not being able to gas up is not part of the 5 year powertrain warranty. Jeez.

Cheers.
It's got to be something obvious. I mean, to not be able to get anything in the tank isn't a partially blocked filter. My last effort is to remove the whole filler neck from quarter panel to tank.
I took the filler pipe off the tank and had a 'finger' round in the top of the tank connection, the little flapper in the top of the tank is there and swings freely so I can't see it being the problem.

The LAST time it filled properly was at Mosport when I had it filled up at the on track gas bar. I mentioned to the guy that the filler might be a little temperamental and it might not, dependent on his pump. "Oh, I filled a hundred of these things, I know the trick". Well, he filled her alright and he's the last person to do it, I'm wondering if he's damaged something at the upper part of the neck by ramming the pump head in...... I dunno...
Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

That sucks. If it were mine, I think I would drop the tank, pull out the filler neck and examine everything. A lot of work I know, but cheaper than taking it to the dealer. Mine is a little finicky at times, but yours sounds like a real problem. To work one day and not the next seems a little suspicious to me.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
balls8302
1st Gear Member

funny you posted about this dilemma as i about went crazy last night at a gas station. my car is also a 06, told the dealer to take care of that tsb when i had the passenger airbag tsb done. they said that my tank was fine but its kept happening ever since. took me about 25 minutes last night to put 8 gallons in. my car doesn't seem to do it as much as you say your's does. mine will be fine for a week or two then it doesn't matter where i'm fueling it will act up and not let me fuel... i'm book marking this in hopes someone figures it out... good luck
Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The fix per the TSB often doesn't fix the problem. Quite a few that have had the dealer perform the TSB claim to have continued having the problem. FWIW...
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I'm resisting dropping the tank at this time. It's such a big job and I don't really want to disturb the pump connections. I'm going to have a go at the filler neck today, see if there's an obstruction or something.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Not to mention a messy job. I hate swapping my fuel filter, gas smell lingers FOR-EVER. At least you have a garage lift Marcus. Things could be worse .

there's normally a check ball in the fill tube to prevent spills in case of a roll-over accident. may have gotten stuck in the fill pipe, blocking it off. you said you tried shoving something down the filler neck?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Not to mention a messy job. I hate swapping my fuel filter, gas smell lingers FOR-EVER. At least you have a garage lift Marcus. Things could be worse .

there's normally a check ball in the fill tube to prevent spills in case of a roll-over accident. may have gotten stuck in the fill pipe, blocking it off. you said you tried shoving something down the filler neck?
Hmmm, there is eh? Ok, although I didn't have any time today I'm defo gonna rip that fuel filler neck out and have a deep and meaningful discussion with it.
i did shove a stiff wire (Coathanger) down the thing and encountered something although i not sure that it wasn't just a bend which I couldn't navigate round.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:17 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

OK> Latest update.
So I pulled the filler neck loose and had a looky.

Now, i don't know much about filler neck technology but I can say right now, I see why Mustangs have that generic filling gulp gulp issue at the gas station.

The filler neck travels downward, loops under the frame rail, and then travels back UP to go over the axle tube. It hugs the bottom of the trunk floor before then dipping down into the tank. So right there you have an issue, the gas pump has to pump the gas UPWARD which is why most pumps click off all the time (They have a pressure sensitive cutout switch).
When I removed my filler neck and blew it through with an airline to check for flow, I had about a pint of gas, which was stuck between the gas neck and the high point of the neck pipe, fly across the garage......... Nice. It's like, in a way, the u-bend under a sink.
So anyway, I blew the filler neck through and found no obstruction, there isn't a non-return valve in there either, so that's not the problem.

So into the tank. The non return valve thingy in the tank seems to be working fine. just the slightest of pressure from my Saturday-night-finger was able to push it down and allow gas to enter the tank.

The pressure vent tube on the other side of the tank is unobstructed too. I was able to blow air into the tank on the fill side and felt the air displace out the vent tube system on the other. In fact, not that I even have half a clue about how that air displacement canister setup under the trunk works, but the displaced air did travel all the way through the system, when reattached, and vent out it's exhaust (above the axle on the passenger side) although I did feel some level of resistance there.

I had some hope before, but I really have no clue why my tank refuses to fill now. OK, I didn't try it after this strip and reassembly, but I didn't actually do anything so nothing has changed.

The U-Bend thing on the filler neck does **** me off somewhat, I can see that is a problem but again, it was always like that so I guess it isn't my problem as such.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Just yank the damn thing and install a fuel cell in the trunk. Convert your GT badge to a filler. Lighter and safer ;-).

So no obstruction yet no filly-up. Very odd indeed. I believe it's time for a trip to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank issue question