Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning Manual on 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 AM
orgchem

Default Learning Manual on 2011 GT

So it looks like getting a manual is now an option for me. I've always driven an auto, and the only time I've ever driven a manual was around a neighborhood once in a friends car - and that trip was filled with stalls.

The main reason I'm even thinking about a manual is for the 3.73 gears and brembo package. If I got one, would it be difficult to learn to drive manual with it? I know the basic premise of manual driving, but just have no experience. And I would hate to end up ruining the car (my better half would also be learning on it), or to not be able to get the 'full potential' out of the car because I can't drive. But then again, everybody tells me a manual would be much more rewarding.

Advice? Stick with an auto GT, or venture out with a manual?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 AM
V8 VOL
2nd Gear Member

So funny, because yesterday I had dropped my car at the service department and found out they had one remaining 2010 on the lot and thought I would give a shot at stealing it from them....one problem, it a manual. I am 32 and have never driven one but was willing to learn. How many times have you wished you could take the gears and control it yourself, its been many times for me so my next car will be manual.

Didnt get the car, they still wanted 28K.

I have been told its not that hard and will really only take about a week to get comfortable with it, my only concern is driving it in traffic...Atlanta ya know!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Find a 200-500 dollar manual beater to learn on. Or a rental lol. I don't think a 5.0 is going to make a very good 1st time learners car. Especially with the skip shift feature. There are people who know how to drive manual (supposedly anyways) that this feature is giving trouble to.

Last edited by MOOK3456; 08-08-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:39 AM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Just do it! I just taught my 15 yr old son to drive my 04 V6 and 05 GT manuals. The only way to learn is just to do it!
I have never believed you will hurt a car from driving it. Could you shorten the clutch life a few thousand miles, sure, but that should not be a good reason not to get one.
Don't know about the skip shift feature, but if it is like the one GM used, a shorting resistor will take care of that problem.
I love driving a standard and would have all my cars be manual trans if I could. Fortunate for me, my wife can drive one also, and now my son. So if you want one, go get it.
Just my $0.02. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on just do it. Yeah, you'll probably stall a few times but the more you drive the easier it'll be. I wouldn't have bought my Stang if I couldn't get a manual.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90stang5.0
Just do it! I just taught my 15 yr old son to drive my 04 V6 and 05 GT manuals. The only way to learn is just to do it!
I have never believed you will hurt a car from driving it. Could you shorten the clutch life a few thousand miles, sure, but that should not be a good reason not to get one.
Don't know about the skip shift feature, but if it is like the one GM used, a shorting resistor will take care of that problem.
I love driving a standard and would have all my cars be manual trans if I could. Fortunate for me, my wife can drive one also, and now my son. So if you want one, go get it.
Just my $0.02. Good luck.
From what I've read it can be disabled with advancetrac off...So yeah I guess it's a non issue anyways. @OP if/when you get it post some pics
Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Taskiss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
So it looks like getting a manual is now an option for me. I've always driven an auto, and the only time I've ever driven a manual was around a neighborhood once in a friends car - and that trip was filled with stalls.

The main reason I'm even thinking about a manual is for the 3.73 gears and brembo package. If I got one, would it be difficult to learn to drive manual with it? I know the basic premise of manual driving, but just have no experience. And I would hate to end up ruining the car (my better half would also be learning on it), or to not be able to get the 'full potential' out of the car because I can't drive. But then again, everybody tells me a manual would be much more rewarding.

Stick with an automatic or get a manual beater and drive it for 6 months before you get a new Mustang.

I let a friend drive the second new mustang I ever bought (back in the early 70's) and he tore up my syncro shifting from first to second. A hot new car is not the platform to learn how to drive.

Second bit of advice (since you're asking for advice) - never let anyone else drive your ride.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 AM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

But then again, everybody tells me a manual would be much more rewarding.

I re-read your post and have one more piece of advise for what its worth.

It depends on how much you like to interact with the car. I personally love to shift gears and be in control of what gear it is in. Others find shifting a real pain and just want to put it in gear and go. Also depends on how much stop-and-go traffic you drive in.
If you have never driven a stick car, finding out that you don't like to interact that much with your car while paying $35k for a NEW one could be a costly mistake.
Maybe you might be better off buying a cheap vehicle to drive around for a few months to see if you really do like to shift gears all the time? That might be cheaper in the long run, because if you don't like it, your not out that much $$$. Kind of like what Taskiss stated.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
Find a 200-500 dollar manual beater to learn on. Or a rental lol. I don't think a 5.0 is going to make a very good 1st time learners car. Especially with the skip shift feature. There are people who know how to drive manual (supposedly anyways) that this feature is giving trouble to.
that & plus he mentioned it'd be 2 people learning on it....... Im not sure I'd do it either.

You could always get an Auto and put the 3.73's in it? I thought the GT's came with that anyways??
Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Do it. The best way to learn to drive a manual is to own one.

Quick Reply: Learning Manual on 2011 GT