Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Default Help :)

I know at least a couple people on these boards own or work in vinyl or sign shops... I "attempted" to install my hood bulge blackout today (wet method) and ran into an issue. This is the kit for reference, the problem I had was with the large hood center black out. http://www.moproauto.net/servlet/the...Mustang/Detail

It all looked great until I peeled off the bottom and noticed that I had creased it in a few places at the lower sides. Is there a trick to get it to not crease there? I know a heat gun can help afterwards but I don't have one or even a hair dryer lol. The rest of it was great, no bubbles at all, just the damn lower corners... Anyone have a good way to prevent that before I attempt with a new piece?

Last edited by MOOK3456; 08-13-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I'm no expert at laying vinyl, but I have done it a few times. I do make sure to keep the surface and the vinyl wet, and I mean enough to slide the piece around until I know it's in the position I want. Then I squeegee out the liquid. Not sure if that helps, but from what I'm reading, it sounded like you didn't have the placement dead on and had already dried somewhat. I found out vinyl stretches too, so don't pull on it too hard.

Last edited by alkemist; 08-13-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:32 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

to remove creases the only way is heat and a good amount... heat it up and streeeeeetch it and then use blue painters tape to mask off the area you like then use a razor to cut the excess you just stretched.... not the easiest method but results are the best, heat gun is 20 bucks, home depot carries them, go get one haha you will need it
Old 08-14-2010, 03:33 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

o and my experience is laying more vinyl on my car with my bud that owns a shop then most people would like to lay in their lives haha
Old 08-14-2010, 07:04 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Yeah, thanks guys.

Alk, yep that's exactly the way I did it. the problem was that I didn't even see the creases until I pulled the backing off because the backing didn't crease, just the vinyl and by that time it was all squeegeed out already. They were really small but still very noticeable. The placement was dead on, I measured, marked it all out and top hinged it.

And blackstang, didn't even cross my mind to cut it...I pulled up an edge to try and fix it and it stretched out pretty good. Thats when I tore it all off lol. It looked too stretched to be saved. I guess I'll pick up a heat gun for the next try.

I think I messed up by doing a down stroke or two with the squeegee when I neared the bottom... I should probably only go sideways with the squeegee until I hit the very edge of the bottom, huh? (and yeah, I started from the middle)

Last edited by MOOK3456; 08-14-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Vinyl can be loads of fun... NOT. I learned to be patient and be cool with it and not to panic. If you are careful, it still can be manageable. I had squeegeed out the liquid and found creases and bubbles. I was still able to re-soak the vinyl and then go back, but very slowly and carefully. I inspected each portion as I moved on. Of course there is always the possibility of just having that point of no return where you just have to rip it off. Luckily I haven't come to that yet, I was close to it installing my vinyl black out panel. I had to do it on the street and with the wind.. and that means dust and gunk flying though the air.. that was not fun at all. Hope you have better luck with your next install.