Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uca help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

Default uca help

i added UMI lower control arms about a month ago but still had slight wheel hop. so today i add UMI relocation bolt in brackets, adjustable UCA and UCA bracket. i also added my aluminum DS and adjusted the pinion angle to -2.75. so i took the car for a ride and did notice some NVH. also i noticed when i hit a slow speed bump as in shopping center i hear a noise like a loose bracet sliding on threads or too big of a nut sliding on threads. i got under there again and made sure everything is tight. i do got some questions thou; what bolt hole in the UCA bracket should i of used for the UCA? i use the lower one. also on the UCA rear end side i put the hole side down cause the hole is offset on the UCA. please help me out with your sugestions on what you think this noise is!! maybe the UCA/pumpkin bolt should not be torqued to 100 ft. lbs.

Last edited by 07vbluestang; 08-13-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I think you have a bolt/part sizing issue. Did UMI supply hardware with the parts or did you reuse the stock ford bolts?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 AM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

I have UMI parts also. The lower hole will give you more instant center, I used the upper which is the stock location. I also used the upper holes in their LCA relocation brackets because the bottom one looked to close to the ground for my tastes and my wheel hop is gone.
I also installed my UCA with the "hole side down" or the bracing facing up. I do not believe it would have worked the other way.
Did you get the poly bushings? If so, did you lube them? I can't find my notes right now, but thought the pinion angle was set at 2 degrees.
Could your noise be coming from your new driveshaft? Sounds like the suspension pieces are correct.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:49 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

Rubrignitz-uca bracket did not come with bolts. i used factory bolts. the hole in the uca is 14mm like the factory bolt. i also used the lower bolt hole on the uca bracket where the roto-joint end bolts to. the lca come with bolts, only factory bolt there i used is the sleeve with the factory bolt that bolts new bracket to old bracket.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

90 stang 5.0-what is meant by instant center? the lower hole is what i used on the uca bracet. why do they have 2 holes in the relocation brackets? i used the lower one. i have poly/roto-joint ends. the lca's were on the car and i added the relocation brackets, uca and bracket all at once. i have a digital protractor so maybe i will try and back off on my angle. my tranny flange was + 2.0 so i went with -.75 on the pinion flange. i also went from being unloaded suspension to loaded by dropping car on floor jacks onto axle and bouncing on the trunk. maybe i need is load it with like 150lbs. and then tighten all bolts.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:53 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

The instant center is if you draw an imaginary line with the UCA and LCA's, where they meet is the instant center. There is a lot of information on this subject, try to search for it, because I don't want to rehash it due to length.
Generally speaking, the more IC you have, the more traction you will have and the less the rear will "squat" during hard acceleration. They way you have it should be fine, but you could experience some suspension binding, but more traction and NO wheel hop. I used the upper holes because of my 17 rims and my car being a daily driver. It looked to me like if I had a flat tire and used the lower bolt holes, I could possibly drag the LCA's on the ground. Since my wheel hop is gone, I left it like this. I also don't have the roto-joint ends, mine are all poly.
I believe that my angle difference was -2 degrees, but I still have the factory driveshaft. There is a write-up on how to set the pinion angle also, just search for that also.

Did you tighten all the bolts and set the angle with the suspension loaded and level? If not, that could be some of your problem.

Sorry I can't answer all your questions.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I think you have a bolt/part sizing issue. Did UMI supply hardware with the parts or did you reuse the stock ford bolts?
check the UCA bolt. there is supposed to be a supplied "sleeve" that you use with the OEM bolt. the OEM bolt has a narrower diameter than the actual hole it slides into on the aftermarket UCA.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:37 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
check the UCA bolt. there is supposed to be a supplied "sleeve" that you use with the OEM bolt. the OEM bolt has a narrower diameter than the actual hole it slides into on the aftermarket UCA.
Not on mine there wasn't. UMI website says it "reuses factory hardware" on the roto-joint also.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I've read about the UCA causing a clunking noise before and it was because of that diameter mismatch I mentioned above.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the bolt out and compare the UCA diamater of the hole vs. the bolt diameter...if they are different, sleeve it.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:20 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

UCA clunking took me 3 trips back to the shop to fix. Finally swapped my BMR junk to this Steeda one but tried the Steeda stepped spacer on my BMR uca first which didnt help. But who knows maybe the shop didnt torque it to correct specs either.

http://www.steeda.com/products/adjus...ontrol_arm.php

Stepped Spacer Details 555-4110 -
Stepped Spacers for Chassis Mount of Upper 3rd Link

This spacer is designed to fix the problem with the OEM upper link. At the attachment point for the upper link to the chassis mount Ford uses a 14mm bolt, but the opening in the mount is 16mm. This is not typically a problem with the OEM mount as it uses a soft hydra mount bushing to soften this. But once an aftermarket upper is installed with a urethane bushing can transmit this noise or clunk. This space can be installed with all aftermarket upper that still use a 14mm bolt. The stepped spacer takes up the slop and eliminates all noise from the upper. Note, it does work with aftermarket chassis mounts with smaller then 16mm bolt holes.

Quick Reply: uca help