Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help for how to cleaning the air conditioning.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Default need help for how to cleaning the air conditioning.

well, guess this is a noob question, lol
my baby is 2008 gt, cuz summer we turn the A/C a lot, and mine smell not that fresh when i turn the fun on, also, there is a small tiny noise when i turn the fan or A/C on,anybody has any idea how to fix that, or what it might cuz the problem?
and, my A/C is not cool that fast also, i think maybe its the time to add some freon.. and can i do it myself?
any help will be appreciate.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by raywang5
well, guess this is a noob question, lol
my baby is 2008 gt, cuz summer we turn the A/C a lot, and mine smell not that fresh when i turn the fun on, also, there is a small tiny noise when i turn the fan or A/C on,anybody has any idea how to fix that, or what it might cuz the problem?
and, my A/C is not cool that fast also, i think maybe its the time to add some freon.. and can i do it myself?
any help will be appreciate.
For the smell you could change your cabin filter for starters.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 AM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
For the smell you could change your cabin filter for starters.
do u know how?
i am an idiot if no instruction for me lol
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 AM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

It's in the firewall behind the battery. Just "carefully" pull the tabs out of the firewall cover and pull it away. Remove the battery first of course.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's no need to remove the battery. And I believe there's some instructions here in the forum for cabin air filtter replacement. I have it on my computer at home or else I'd have attached it.

I suspect the noise could be something touching the fan blades but you didn't elaborate what it sounds like and how/if it changes with fan speed. As far as coolness, I've been in a few S197's and they all seem to have marginal capacity so if it's really hot out, the A/C will struggle. Your outlet temps are a function of the inlet temps also, so don't expect the air to be bone chilling, especially while the cabin is still warm. Best thing to do is park in the shade, put the A/C on high max and stick a temp gauge by the outlet. There's a temperature range that the dealer will tell you is normal (which I never find to be acceptable, anyway).

I've never tried to add whatever the gas is that they use nowadays in the A/C to an S197 so I can't help you there.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Tutorial on how to change the cabin air filter. It is very easy. You can get replacement filters online fairly cheap.

http://ratstangrestoration.com/cabin...ement_2005.htm

Battery removal is not necessary.. the filter is behind the firewall. I found it easiest to take the cowl off if you turn on the wipers and shut the car off while they are in mid motion. You'll find lots of fun stuff in the dirty filter.

Last edited by alkemist; 09-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
jake86

i just changed mine 2 days ago and the car def has a fresher smell to it ! it was super dirty ..also look for the cheaper ones 10 bucks and just change it more often ... i think straight from ford they sell for 25 dollars
Old 09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=333&viewfil... Treatment.pdf
Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Good post, 157db. I hadn't thought about the shop manual.

And regarding the cabin air filter:
Yeah, we wouldn't want to breath unfiltered air. Don't drive with your windows down and be sure to wear a dust mask running from your house or work to your car or hold your breath. How did we ever survive before cabin air filters???

I changed mine at 30,000 miles and what a near-useless POS it is to get worried about.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
There's no need to remove the battery. And I believe there's some instructions here in the forum for cabin air filtter replacement. I have it on my computer at home or else I'd have attached it.

I suspect the noise could be something touching the fan blades but you didn't elaborate what it sounds like and how/if it changes with fan speed. As far as coolness, I've been in a few S197's and they all seem to have marginal capacity so if it's really hot out, the A/C will struggle. Your outlet temps are a function of the inlet temps also, so don't expect the air to be bone chilling, especially while the cabin is still warm. Best thing to do is park in the shade, put the A/C on high max and stick a temp gauge by the outlet. There's a temperature range that the dealer will tell you is normal (which I never find to be acceptable, anyway).

I've never tried to add whatever the gas is that they use nowadays in the A/C to an S197 so I can't help you there.
its just sound like too much dust in their. i think now, its getting, worse, whenever i turn off the air, there is leaking sound comes from the engine bay, and i m definately sure its the A/C, i tried to driving around without A/C, and when i turn off the car, no sound at all, it only happens when i turn the A/C.. any idea?

Quick Reply: need help for how to cleaning the air conditioning.