Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 point racing harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Default 4 point racing harnesses

Ok so for awhile I have wanted a racing harness. at the mustang show i was out this summer i saw an s197 with the 4 point harnesses in it and it looked hot... and it had stock seats. So I have my engine dressed up in blue and i want the blue 4 points to match, (i took first place in the modified section at a MCA judged mustang show a few weeks ago).

So my question is this... I have heard that if you dont get the harness bar that in the event of a rollover without the bar the pressure of the shoulder belt will crush your spine.... but I do not track drive or take it to a strip... so i was wondering if you guys think i will be ok without a harness bar because i will not roll my lowered mustang. And also in the event of a car accident (knock on wood) without the harness bar will the spine crushing happen or is that just for when there is a roll over... because from what i found and read it was only in a rollover...

this is what i was looking at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1717wt_1167
Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

What are you going to attach the harnesses to if you don't have a harness bar?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
What are you going to attach the harnesses to if you don't have a harness bar?
i would mount the side 2- remove the original buckle on your right where you hook in the belt to and use that as one mount, then drill into the seat bottom for the left lap belt, then for the rear 2 i would use where the seat bolts into the car floor for its sliders, use 2 washers and use that for the shoulder, so the would run strait to the floor board...
Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

i also believe that the belt bar doesnt have the belt hook into it, it is rather a guide that the belt drapes over and then bolts to the floor boards to decrease the angle of the belt on your shoulder...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Didn't know the harnesses were long enough to reach the floor like that.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:20 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

the whole point to a 4 or 5 point over a 3 is to increase safety. this isnt something i would gamble with. im not attacking you in anyway, but you cant predict an accident just bc ur stang is lowered doesnt mean it will be impossible to flip. just imo a seat belt isnt something to do half assed. but i do agree with a 4 or 5 point being sexy. Im just pretty much saying dont mess with something that can help save your life.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by legendlime05
the whole point to a 4 or 5 point over a 3 is to increase safety. this isnt something i would gamble with. im not attacking you in anyway, but you cant predict an accident just bc ur stang is lowered doesnt mean it will be impossible to flip. just imo a seat belt isnt something to do half assed. but i do agree with a 4 or 5 point being sexy. Im just pretty much saying dont mess with something that can help save your life.
ya for sure.... i get what your saying, i think the belt bars are something required in 11 second cars... i will look into it, i just dont know if the kind of driving i do would call for one, I could just mount in in between where the back seats fold down...!!! that is a high enough angle right?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't do any sort of fabrication with seatbelt systems unless you understand them, the physics, and geometry VERY well. Remember the seatbelts are designed as a system, messing with them can mess up the way all the safety features work with you.

I don't care about the look, but for the feel i bought a CG-Lock... it attaches to your seatbelt and holds you in place in these slippery seats very well

'Jim
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

+1 i use the cg lock at the track, i just feel like something thats critical on life or death just shouldnt be messed with. Ive had two friends and a gf DIE bc they werent wearing a belt. I dont know, maybe im being a little girl about it but they are there for a reason.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 PM
opiwan
1st Gear Member

I would just save up and get a proper system. In the long run it will look even sexier with the correct gear, RECARO seat, Roll bar, harness, etc. I know your just after the look, but that is not an area I would try to cut money on...... just my $0.02

Quick Reply: 4 point racing harnesses