Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me or are the 2011 GT's overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 AM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

Default Is it just me or are the 2011 GT's overpriced?

So I'm in the market for a new car and I was checking out some prices. I saw this nice 2011 GT that I liked and I decided to sit down and crunch some numbers. I used to work at that dealership, so I pretty much know everyone there (However, just because you worked with someone doesn't mean they will be your friend when it comes to money sadly).

Anyway, the MSRP on the vehicle was $36,995. It has the HID headlights, comfort package, Those multi spoke black wheels I think 19", and 3.73 gears. After taxes, tags, processing fees it's about $38,000 out the door. I was offered a D plan for 33k and out the door price was 34k. I still think that's a lot for a freaking mustang. Wasn't the main idea of ford to produce a muscle car for an affordable price? I like the mustang, but at the end of the day it's still a mustang. It has RWD and you cannot drive it in snow/ice. Ever (Unless you equip it with some snow tires and about 200lbs of sand in the trunk). Yes the 412hp is amazing but when do you actually utilize it, especially if you drive in the city and on highways the cops are on every corner, literally (I live in Northern Virginia).

I also test drove the new 2011 Audi A4 fully loaded S4 package for like MSRP 44k.Audi 2011 A5 premium plus is 40k. I'd rather go with a quattro, german motor for just a bit more than the Mustang. Is it just me here? I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with next.
I know it's a Mustang forum and my last car was a mustang as well, but I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a stang. What are you 11 guys paying out there out the door? Any insight is helpful.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 AM
chrisheltra
1st Gear Member

Try to price out one thats not fully loaded? I have a friend who took a base auto GT home for 29k. Also the V6's start at 22k.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 AM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrisheltra
Try to price out one thats not fully loaded? I have a friend who took a base auto GT home for 29k. Also the V6's start at 22k.
It's not really fully loaded. It's a 5 speed as well. It doesn't have navigation and some other bells and whistles. I think the only thing that I could let go are the premium wheels. I don't really like them to begin with but they cost nearly 1.5k.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
chrisheltra
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
It's not really fully loaded. It's a 5 speed as well. It doesn't have navigation and some other bells and whistles. I think the only thing that I could let go are the premium wheels. I don't really like them to begin with but they cost nearly 1.5k.
If its an '11 its not a 5 speed. Sounds like you need to do some more research to me.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Corporate D
1st Gear Member

I'd rather go with a quattro, german motor for just a bit more than the Mustang. Is it just me here? I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with next.
Sounds to me like you've already made your decision. And why are you complaining about the price of a GT? If you're saving 4K off MSRP, you're getting a better deal than most. The GT isn't a cheaply made car and ford has priced it accordingly.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 AM
chrisheltra
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Corporate D
Sound to me like you already made your decision. And why are you complaining about the price of a GT? If you're saving 4K off MRSP, youre getting a better deal than most. The GT isn't a cheaply made car and ford has priced it accordingly.
Plus the mustang is cheaper than the Audi yet hes complaining about the price of the mustang and not the Audi. lolz
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 AM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

The '011s are 6 speed, not 5. It seems to me you're thinking the Mustang is overpriced because it's NOT the right car for you. Your original post basically says so, and all the factors you mention would still be present if the Mustang was $5k less. The Audi costs more to buy, more to run, more to repair, etc., but the price seems right to you because it's the right car for you.

Get what works for you and makes you happy, and enjoy.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 AM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
The '011s are 6 speed, not 5. It seems to me you're thinking the Mustang is overpriced because it's NOT the right car for you. Your original post basically says so, and all the factors you mention would still be present if the Mustang was $5k less. The Audi costs more to buy, more to run, more to repair, etc., but the price seems right to you because it's the right car for you.

Get what works for you and makes you happy, and enjoy.
Hey thanks for a honest response. The other guys are just stuck up. I had an 06 mustang and I could go for 16 pages writing all the problem I had with it. Bought it brand new, and had the whole transmission, drifeshaft, clutch changed within 5 days of the purchase. That was just the beginning of my problems with it. So of course I'm cautious now. I just read that even the 2011's are having tranny issues. I'm asking around to see what others are paying. I'm not bashing nor trolling, but getting information and advice. Stuck up fanboys don't understand that. I love the 11 GT, but I can consider other options because of the steep price. That's all.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

It is affordable for what it offers compared to similar cars in it's class which the Audi is not. If you don't like the price buy it used all new cars are overpriced let someone else take the hit buy it for less with really low miles.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are the 2011 GT's overpriced?