Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues... Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
This may be too late, but I would check all the electrical connections. If a battery terminal is either dirty or loose, you can get this type of intermittent problem. Even if the alternator is working okay, a loose connection won't let it recharge the battery properly. Or even if the battery is fully charge, a poor connection will act like the battery is low, and don't have the power to start the vehicle.
I have checked all connections including the terminals, battery casing, and wires. I have examined the alt and listened to it while the car was running. Everything seems to look the way it should.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

I talked to mechanic friend of mine this evening and he agreed that it sounds like the alt is most likely the problem, but suggested changing both anyway. As much as I know you all will likely disagree, he suggested just sticking with OE parts. He suggests that electrical (unless suggested due to recalls) issues should always be replaced with factory OE parts. He told me a couple stories about well know aftermarket O2 sensors that would throw codes only to find out that the stock O2's would fix the problem. Aftermarket Alt's that fried ecm's. He said that there is always a time and place to upgrade to aftermarket, but in my case, just figure out the issue and then next time it happens, then maybe upgrade. I will keep you all posted, looks like my girl will be parked for a few days.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I'm assuming "bad diode" would mean the voltage regulator which is intregal to the alternator.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Update: I would like to start off by saying " I will NEVER go to autozone again " I took the alternator off the car and decided to take it to autozone again to have them test the alternator again off the car. It took the dude about 15 minutes to find the bracket to mount the alt to the tester. Then he started it and the alt fell off the bracket! He called another employee over and whispered something to him and then told me the alt was bad. I asked what was wrong with it and he said it failed. No other information. I grabbed the alt and stormed out the door. I get home and look at the alt. and black soot was blown all over the casing ( which was not there earlier ) and with a closer look noticed the pulley ribs were scared and the casing was cracked where he attached it to the machine. I raced back to the store and demanded to talk to a manager. He came out and more or less said " Prove to me the employee did the damage and I will replace it for free.... otherwise there is nothing I can do for you" As I said.... never again from that chain....NEVER! Bottom line I found an inside source from ford and he is getting me a new alt. and a new battery for under $280.00. Will get the parts tomorrow... wish me luck!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

call the better business Bureau
Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang
call the better business Bureau
No offense but that would be as efficient as p#ssing in a violin, hoping that it would sound like Charlie Daniels finest melodies...
Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If nothing else, shoot Autozone corporate an e-mail and post their e-mail address. I'll shoot one to them myself and tell them they've lost my business unless they compensate you and I'd bet a few dozen e-mails to the right person from the forum might sway them.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If nothing else, shoot Autozone corporate an e-mail and post their e-mail address. I'll shoot one to them myself and tell them they've lost my business unless they compensate you and I'd bet a few dozen e-mails to the right person from the forum might sway them.
i'd be in on that... let me know what to say and the address and i can whip something up. so 2 people so far....
Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Well, the new alt is in. The car started right up without having to jump start it. I didn't change the battery yet. Everything seems okay so far.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Same thing happened to me... Turn the key and it would go click click vrrr vrrr click vroom! Finally after a couple more times it wouldn't start period. I would let it run for like 30 minutes, and come back and try to start it thinking it was the alternator... but finally realized it was the battery.

Last edited by Menace; 08-25-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues... Plz Help!