Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues... Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Electrical Issues... Plz Help!

For the past month, my 2006 GT has been acting a little funny during start up. I am assuming that it is either a battery or alternator problem but would like to get your opinions before I take it to auto zone and let a total stranger start probing my car.
I start the car and it seems to turn over slowly.... but it does start.
I start the car and my shaker 500 does a total initializing sequence and loses the time but my presets are still in place.
I start the car and hear clicking in the engine compartment but the car does start.
And now tonight as I was coming home from my brother in laws I stopped at McDonalds and while in line my volt gauge was fluctuating and my radio started getting feedback in the way of a mild humming sound, the lights dimmed but as soon as I got out on the main road all noises went away, the volt gauge held its own and the lights were bright.
I do not have this problem all the time but it seems to be happening more frequent as of late and want to take care of this problem before it gets worse.
Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

with the wide range of problems and this starting to happen recently sounds like a battery issue... if you have any thoughts of it being the alternator you can take it off (pretty easy) and just bring it in and they will test it... if you only have one ride just drive up to one and bring your tools and remove it there and run the tests... then if it fails install the new one right there and test drive it... i think they might offer battery testing to but i am not sure on that one though.

It just seems like one of those two seeing as how it randomly started and you would know of a water problem or anything like that so since it just started and it is such a variety of things that are having issues then it might be worth the tests seeing as how both of those items are (relatively) cheap when comparing it to shop rates of a diagnoses....
Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I have noticed the "turn-key-and-nothing-happens" try again and all is fine phenomena, but I've been ignoring it till whatever causes it breaks. Electrical issues can be expensive to track down. You haven't had the infamous water leak issue, have you?? The water leaks onto the electricals, although yours sound more like batt issue?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It certainly sounds battery/alternator related. Don't wait to have it checked out before it leaves you stranded. If it's the OE battery, then it's a good bet that's all it is. After it starts and you're on the road, the alternator is providing power but for startups and idling, the battery can't cut it.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

It Figures!!!! Went out this morning and Murphy's Law holds true! Turned the key and nothing but clicking. I jumped the car and it started right up. I took it to auto zone and had them test the battery and alt. I had some punk kid hook up the tester to the battery and he tells me , and I quote " Your battery is nearing it' life expectancy so I think it is your battery". I asked him, is the battery okay or is it bad? He says, " I don't know, the tester says it is okay". I scratched my head and said as calmly as I could, " Are you an IDIOT?" I told him to test the the alternator. I peeked over his shoulder and the tester said: FAIL DIODE. I asked him, is the alternator bad? He said " I don't know". I had him test the battery again and from what i could see, it was charging at 13.5 volts. Now I am at a loss. Is it the battery or the alt? I am running UDP's but I don' think that should cause my issues. Any Ideas?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RideMyAssOff
I have noticed the "turn-key-and-nothing-happens" try again and all is fine phenomena, but I've been ignoring it till whatever causes it breaks. Electrical issues can be expensive to track down. You haven't had the infamous water leak issue, have you?? The water leaks onto the electricals, although yours sound more like batt issue?
I have had the water leak years ago... I was one of the first to post a solution to the problem. Have been bone dry since the fix.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it was the water leak you'd have all kinds of strange electrical issues. This one is pointing right at the battery and/or alternator. Take it someplace that has adults or punk kids w/o snot that know how to do the tests and interperet the results. It wouldn't surprise me that it's the alternator (based on the "fail diode") AND the battery if it's the OE battery. And if you need to replace either or both, just figure that the battery would need replacement within a year or 2 anyway.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:09 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yeah, getting diagnose/advise from Autozone and the likes won't get you nowhere, no pun intended.

A good local mechanic shop is the place to go...
If it's the OEM battery on your 06, it has outlived its life expectancy by a long shot.
So, I'd replace it even if the alternator is bad.
Start anew and have a piece of mind.

Last edited by pascal; 08-22-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

bad alternator sounds like it, if so just replace the battery at the same time... seeing as how the OEM batteries are ****, replace both at once and you are sure to fix the problem right.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

This may be too late, but I would check all the electrical connections. If a battery terminal is either dirty or loose, you can get this type of intermittent problem. Even if the alternator is working okay, a loose connection won't let it recharge the battery properly. Or even if the battery is fully charge, a poor connection will act like the battery is low, and don't have the power to start the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues... Plz Help!