Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having a dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:48 AM
Moopher

Default Having a dilemma...

Alright, this post is my first, and it has to do with the upcoming '06 mustang GT.

I appologize in advance if my post is incoherent or jumbled.

I became obsessed with the '05 Mustang in April of this year, and i was thinking about getting one, but me being in high school, and only being 17, I never really honestly considered it, but then the bug hit me again in late May, and i started saving all of my paychecks. I've been working between 45 to 50 hours a week just to get money set away for this car. So i have about 2500 right now, and i want to put a 10,000 downpayment on one, which i should have mid December, because i'm getting a promotion and i will be going on salary which means i'll have a constant, reliable check during the school year.

The other thing is, i've never been big into cars up until i saw this reincarnation of a classic muscle car, all of my friends have hondas, and mitsubishi's, and those have never floated my boat.

Now what i was wondering is when the best time to put down downpayment for an '06 GT? should i do it earlier than December?

How long is the wait projected to be for these cars to be built?

What is some advice you could give me, being this is my first vehicle i've ever purchased? (I have a 1987 Pathfinder i got for my birthday from my friends parents before i turned 16, and i love it, but i'm just itchin' for this mustang)

Thanks alot, any info or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-12-2005, 10:17 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Having a dilemma...

Put your money down AS SOON as you possibly can, and then find a hobby/job that will help you keep your mind off of it for AT LEAST 3-4 months. That, or start shopping the dealers in your 4/5 state region for what you want - you MIGHT just get lucky. They are NOT easy to come by.

'06 production is supposed to have a higher percentage of GT's, but I'm sure that will NOT equate to faster delivery times with all the backorders already carrying over from '05 orders.

But my advice to you - a and BRAND NEW car is not a wise investment unless you plan to keep it for life and keep it in showroom condition. If you think you will eventually sell it, mod the hell out of it, ect - I'd buy a used one. It will IMMEDIATELY loose between $5-10K once you drive it off the lot. Why not save yourself that $5-10K (which you could use on college/housing/mods/etc)? I'd start shopping the web and local auto magazines for a good used '05. You should be able to find one with average (15k) or lower miles that is still virtually brand new. Hell there's a few for sale on here as we speak.

Good luck, and drive it smart.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

^^^ What he said.

The chances of something happening to you car are SO GREAT I too advise you look for a used 05' GT. They are already starting to show up.

I remember High School.. People were always screwing with guys nice cars. Dudes that were mad at you because you looked at their girlfriend, Girls who are mad at you because you stiffed them on a date or flirted with one of their friends or an enemy. Jealous other kids that didn't like the fact YOU got a cool car. Chevy and Dodge guys wanting to teach you a lesson. Attitudes and what 17 / 19 year olds are willing to do to someones care just for the hell of it make it almost dangerous these days.

If you buy a used one you won't have near the investment. and you can save your money to get one of those 06 Cobras next year.

By the way - - - - have you check with your insurance company to see what a 17 year old Male is going to have to pay for insurance on a 300hp car?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Moopher

He quoted it at being roughly 375. And between car payments and insurance, it will take up about half of my monthly income. I know i will be blowing more on gas, but that will be fine too. The rest of my income i was just going to put into the bank and keep on saving it up.

This is tough.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:41 AM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

Shouldn't have said your 17 and getting a GT man..............

[sm=badidea.gif]
Old 08-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Moopher

Why's that?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:12 AM
old tsteffes
I ♥ Acer

I'm agree with 2GKT5. Bad idea. I think your insurance will be very high because of your age bracket. I know exactly what you are feeling about the car. It's quite compelling, but be caful not to get yourself in over your head. Jobs come and go, even when you think things are going great. Don't count on what money 'could' come, but only what you are making now.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:38 AM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

No I don't care if hes getting a GT at 17, ESPECIALLY when hes paying for it himself (bravo!).

I'm just saying its not wise to disclose your age (in particular ages 18 and below) when getting such a fast/cool/totally ***** fu<kin pimpin' *** car. This board is notorious for know-it-alls who think they know exactly how you're going to **** up your car.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:57 AM
Moopher

Yeah, i guess i'd have to give you detailed explanation of my situation. But i mean i'm going to be making 25,000 to 27,000 in less than two weeks now, and that's more than a majority of kids my age, they are lucky if they can break 10,000. I don't know though, i'm still tossing around the idea. The thing is, i don't really mind paying alot of money towards the insurance on this. I understand where you are coming from though. I mean no disrespect either, i appreciate all of the advice thus far.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:01 AM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

Moopher: Do some research before you get too commited on buying one, (may be too late). Insurance may very well suck the $$$ out of your bank account. Depends what state you live in too though, California would take you for $200+ monthly. Plus, with even $10k down on a new GT, you are still looking at about $400+ a month. Financing will kill you with little or no credit, (co-signer?). With a high rate, you could be looking at more like $500 a month plus insurance.

Can you pay $600+ a month for a car for the next 5 years? Any plans to live on your own? Need money for college? Whoa, don't forget the gas prices now!!! The car is hella cool, but not practical.

I'm not going to discourage anyone for being young and wanting a fast car just because of statistics. Some teenagers are more responsible than others, so I'm going to throw everyone into one group adn assume you can't "handle it".

As far as waiting for an '06, I'd have to agree with the others here, save some bucks and get an indentical '05 that's already broken in for you. By December, when '06s are in line, the demand should start dropping and '05's should be a little cheaper as well.

Anyway, good luck!!

Quick Reply: Having a dilemma...