Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

125 shot? ...Who else would do it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM
WildWes11
2nd Gear Member

Default 125 shot? ...Who else would do it?

So looking through some youtube vids about the wonderful 5.0 I found this mustang doing 10s(10.98 in one vid and 10.8 in another) with 125 shot of NO2 ... just wondering what the longevity of the setup would be ... I mean on the older 'stangs they would hold a 125 shot pretty well even on a regular basis

So basically what I am getting at is how long, estimated, would an engine last with a properly tuned NO2 system?

Before anyone says something like "why not just super/turbo charge it" it's because I didn't ask that even though on down the line it would be cheaper than filling a bottle every week/two weeks/month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZz3fqqpTw
Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 PM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

There really is no way of telling how long a car will last when you make those kind of modifications man. Some people will tell you "mine lasted 3 years daily driven" others tell you it lasted like 4,000 miles. Personally I wouldn't do it unless you regularly attend drag races and you really want to beat a lot of people. To many expensive factors weigh in when it comes to nitrous FI and internal mods.

That car was owned by a well known reputable shop named Evolution motor sports and last I heard they tore the transmission apart. So be wise where and how you spend your hard earned cash buddy.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Tempted to go over to the darkside huh? Lol
Old 08-25-2010, 05:55 PM
WildWes11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Tempted to go over to the darkside huh? Lol
Do you have yours on NO2?

And yea I've done the NO2 thing in a sentra ser for awhile just for weekend fun/highway rolling when a V8 thought "this ricer can't beat me" ... But that was the olden days ... Most likely I will go with a turbo setup once the warranty on the car goes. Just trying to see what some other thought with the new motor

Last edited by WildWes11; 08-25-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

The 5.0 is a brand new engine. We have no historical data to possibly give you an answer with any credibility. If it were me, I would not choose to be a guinea pig especially while the vehicle is under warranty.

Is it really that important to run NAWWWWS? Have you considered a tune and CAI?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam
The 5.0 is a brand new engine. We have no historical data to possibly give you an answer with any credibility. If it were me, I would not choose to be a guinea pig especially while the vehicle is under warranty.

Is it really that important to run NAWWWWS? Have you considered a tune and CAI?
Comparing a 20-25whp modification (intake and tune) to a 50-100whp, and moreso 85+rwtq, (125 shot) is almost laughable. To the other poster above, transmissions don't get torn to shreds from nitrous. Evolution, I believe, tanked the clutch from repeated, extremely hard launches on slicks. Nitrous or not, a rear end / clutch will only last so many launches before they let go.

Are you planning on dragging the car, or is this more for high speed runs?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
Comparing a 20-25whp modification (intake and tune) to a 50-100whp, and moreso 85+rwtq, (125 shot) is almost laughable.
Most consider nitrous laughable. I'd rather have 25whp all the time than 85whp only when I warm the bottle and hit the button I wasn't trying to say it is a replacement, but it's a much safer alternative than throwing a 125 shot on an engine that has only been out a few months.

Last edited by Adam; 08-25-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:54 PM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

I had nitrous in my car and when its back together the nitrous is going back on. I love it. I did just blow my motor on it but that was my fault not the engines. My lazy a$$ didnt put my digital window switch in which i have i just didnt want to do it. I ran 30+ passes with my nitrous shot no problems so i figured it would be fine and the switch wasnt that important. Well i was wrong. The reason i think it blew was being when i was putting my nitrous tune in i accidentally put my street tune in. the the timing wasnt retarded enough for the nitrous. Plus with the 4.10s i think she got too many rpms. Its hard to shift that fast and i was out of practice. I forgot how fast first is with nitrous. I know most of you dont agree but i didnt think i was pushing the envelope. I thin if it wasnt for my mistakes the engine would have lasted alot longer.

If i were you id go with nitrous but make sure you have everything you need and you do it right.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Ur115, exactly.....if you go with the spray you gotta use the safeguards. Bad sh*t can happen fast. I can see how it would be addicting.....all the instant power!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I'm by no means an expert, but I would say upgrading your internals, especially the new 5.0, would be a great start in order to ensure that your car won't blow after 4k...N20 can be good in small doses, but when people get carried away and use it too much, disasters....don't believe me? look it up on youtube

Quick Reply: 125 shot? ...Who else would do it?