Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Setup Pics Please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:33 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

damn this thread is making me want more gauges...only got boost and wideband...but im thinking get 2 more just for the hell of it...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joutcelt
So im thinking of putting on a saleen supercharger next spring. Are these gauges neccessary. I guess one for fuel pressure would be good. Would that tell u when your fuel pump is getting weak and needs changed. What is the IAT for and what is that. Why would u need a gauge for your boost. I really dont have any clue what these do as far as if they are beneficial. IF someone could please fill me in that would be great

thanks
IAT = Intake Air Temperature
- It's not really needed, but you would know if your IAT were extremely high and to let you know to take it easy.

Boost
- Easy to tell if you have a belt slipping/under boost or if you have an over boost situation. Good gauge to have for preventive reasons.

Fuel
- Low fuel pressure = lean conditions and can be sudden death to a supercharged or turbo motor. This is a must have gauge to easily detect fuel system failure and protect your investment.

Air/Fuel ratio aka wideband
- Yet another gauge for preventive care. This will allow you to detect lean or rich conditions quickly. In turn, you can diagnosis the problem before it kills your engine.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 09-01-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:11 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

if you want to get technical...blowers dont really need a boost gauge...boost will be constant...only thing you MIGHT really need is a wideband...if you got an issue with tuning...nothings going to stop the motor from going if youre WOT...fuel pressure is good but i think the wideband is more worth it...plus most have a warning feature...which is pointless unless you can get off the gas within a split second...

i just think gauges just look cool as hell...chicks dig pretty moving lights...

Last edited by mykim72; 09-01-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mykim72
if you want to get technical...blowers dont really need a boost gauge...boost will be constant...only thing you MIGHT really need is a wideband...if you got an issue with tuning...nothings going to stop the motor from going if youre WOT...fuel pressure is good but i think the wideband is more worth it...plus most have a warning feature...which is pointless unless you can get off the gas within a split second...
So what happens if you're not producing max boost because of belt slip or if you're overboosting...? A boost gauge is definitely a necessity on a car with FI.

My buddies car was saved because of one. He put on a new (supposedly) 10lb pulley and when he took the car out for a test run he hit 12psi... turns out the retailer sent him the wrong pulley. He would have blown his motor real easily had he not been watching the boost gauge.

Last edited by S197steve; 09-01-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

damn this thread is making me want more gauges...only got boost and wideband...but im thinking get 2 more just for the hell of it...
Yeah, I have Boost and IAT but want to get the SOS pillar pod and get two Aeroforce gauges so I can monitor all sorts of fun stuff... :-)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

haha yea gauges are fun...

well if the car is not tuned then perhaps it can help...but FI i would definitely pay to have it tuned...
Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

i just think gauges just look cool as hell...chicks dig pretty moving lights...

I talked to a guy at a good performance shop down here. He said that a fuel pressure gauge isn't very necessary, because if you have a wideband A/F gauge you will know when you're running lean right away. A fuel pressure gauge is like double security...