Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible 2005 mustang gt purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 AM
DJ Fresho

Default Possible 2005 mustang gt purchase?

Hey everybody. Im new the forum and in the martket for a mustang gt. I would just like some honest opinions on this gt i saw at the ford dealership today. Its a 2005 mustang gt with 64,000 miles on it. Carfax states that it clean,has one original owner and maintenance was done at ford dealerships up to 35.000 miles. After that, thier are no records(maybe sent to a private mechanic?). Sticker price of the car was 15,995 but we eventually settled for 13,500. Is this is a reasonable price for this gt ?

Moving foward, some concerns I have about the car is it seems to be pulling a little to the right but dealership says they will corrected that if I purchase the car. I would be sure to get that in writing when I go in next time.Also the clutch seems to be stiff, but im thinking that just a by product of coming from driving a honda where the clutch is soft as butter.Also if I purchase the car, I was wondering what type of heavy maintenance is required around 65-75 k. Any help would be greatly welcomed.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJ Fresho
Hey everybody. Im new the forum and in the martket for a mustang gt. I would just like some honest opinions on this gt i saw at the ford dealership today. Its a 2005 mustang gt with 64,000 miles on it. Carfax states that it clean,has one original owner and maintenance was done at ford dealerships up to 35.000 miles. After that, thier are no records(maybe sent to a private mechanic?). Sticker price of the car was 15,995 but we eventually settled for 13,500. Is this is a reasonable price for this gt ?

Moving foward, some concerns I have about the car is it seems to be pulling a little to the right but dealership says they will corrected that if I purchase the car. I would be sure to get that in writing when I go in next time.Also the clutch seems to be stiff, but im thinking that just a by product of coming from driving a honda where the clutch is soft as butter.Also if I purchase the car, I was wondering what type of heavy maintenance is required around 65-75 k. Any help would be greatly welcomed.
Sounds like a good deal even though from experience owning an 05 sucks mainly because the TSBs that come with them and the 06's (more in 05). The pulling sounds like an alignment issue, and possibly something bent if the guy smashed a curb or something I'd be sure they align in and I'd double check it doesn't do it anymore. Yea the cluthces in these cars are somewhat stiff and its def. going to feel like that coming from a Honda. About the question on maintenance I would look up the maintenance guide and it will give it you a good idea, nothing too major around those miles.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Hopefully all turns out good in your favor of coarse. I wonder why the dealership would not hav Good luck.e fixed the/any issues before they put the car on the lot=strange.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd read thru the TSB's to get familiar with the ssues associated with the S197. $13.5k is a fair price if it's in very good condition. Other than fluid changes air filter and fuel filter, I wouldn't worry about it. Just review the Ford recommended maintenance list and choose what you feel to put the car in your comfort zone.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Pay a liitle extra and get an 08 instead...05 has too many issues. Great deals everywhere now. Got mine from carsdirect.com...easy, no haggling with a sales monkey!!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by RideMyAssOff
Pay a liitle extra and get an 08 instead...05 has too many issues. Great deals everywhere now. Got mine from carsdirect.com...easy, no haggling with a sales monkey!!
I don't see him finding an 08 for 13.5

I guess I could be wrong though.
I would not be worried about issues.

I'd be more worried about buying a car online like you did than I would about the 05 issues to tell you the truth.

I have an 06.
The only TSB I had to do was the airbag and the spark plug replacement.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

It sounds like this is first GT you have driven. If so, you might want to test drive a couple others so you have a point if reference for things like the clutch. I would also make the dealer fix the pulling issue before signing anything just to ensure it is not something more serious.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Not a bad price but be careful with these Mustangs. And yeah I've been in a new Honda Civic and the clutch on my GT is without a doubt stiffer. Try to look for alignment on the body, carfax can be clean but someone could of fixed the car without insurence, etc. Listen real good when you drive it too, my v6 had a bad set of carrier bearings, cracked rotor and a whining tranny. What a nightmare that one was.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 PM
DJ Fresho

Your right about the 08 gt. I would love to get one but its a little out of my price range.This is the third mustang gt I have test driven and it just seems a little stiffer the the previous two. I'm gonna have the car inspected by a independent mechanic before I say yes to that price. If everything pans out, I'm prolly gonna buy it. Just wanna make sure everything is in good working order before I buy. Any other tips and advice you guys can offer?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Only to be sure you understand the TSB's. Since the car is out of warranty, any repair to resolve those issues could be costly. The water leak issue is probably the ugliest to repair if the car had the issue and left unrepaired. Fuel pump, suspension clunks, battery drain... more of a PITA if the car has those. The dealer would probably crap if he knew that you had knowledge of the TSB's and wanted the fuel pump TSB, water leak TSB, spark plug TSB, battery TSB and others resolved before signing.

And have the dealer remove his ugly-azz emblem from the rear end.

Quick Reply: Possible 2005 mustang gt purchase?