Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Relocation Bracket - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
egon
1st Gear Member

Default Bent Relocation Bracket - Advice Please

Let me apologize in advance for the long post...

Looking for some advice regarding my J&M relocation brackets. Quick background
regarding the car:

- Lowered with Summit Racing springs (1 1/4" rear, 1" front)
- J&M Street non-adj LCAs
- J&M Street adj UCA
- J&M relocation brackets
- 26x11.5 17 MT ET Streets
- 460 whp, 400 wtq
- Auto-x and drag race about 6 times/yr

Couple of weeks ago I was at a strip and got to make tons of passes over the course of the weekend. Sometime late Saturday I noticed that my steering wheel was getting a little crooked (to the right), and got a little worse by Sunday evening. While at the track I quickly checked things out and noticed that one of the spot welds on the driver side bracket was broken - bolts were O.K. I quit for the weekend and figured I'd fix things when I got home.

While at the track I run the LCAs in the lower hole of the brackets. When I got home I moved them back up to the upper hole and the steering wheel straightened out almost completely. Again Checked the bracket bolts and re-welded the popped weld.

I was in the process of purchasing new shocks and struts, so I figured I'd wait for an alignment check once that was done - well... today was that day. Finished the shocks/struts last night and took it for an alignment today. The shop called me to tell me that my thrust angle was out far enough to be concerned (0.53 degrees). I went to check things out while the car was on the rack, and I could see a slight bend in the right side bracket. So I'm considering three things and could use input regarding what I should do:

1. Do nothing. Brackets are still welded in, bolts O.K. Alignment is done (wheel straight, etc.). But I worry about overall handling as I want it to perform well at auto-x.

2. Grind out the brackets and discard. This will be a PITA, but should get my thrust angle back to spec, and the car will probably do a little better at auto-x.

3. Grind out and replace the driver side bracket. Hope it doesn't happen again.

I have my worries about all three options, but I'm leaning toward option 2. For those who have drag raced with brackets and without brackets, am I really going to loose all that much (traction) by removing them? It is a dual purpose car for me, so I have to make some compromises.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 PM
egon
1st Gear Member

Bump. Realize this is a holiday weekend, but looking for input.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

I'm no expert but I wouldn't think it'd be necessary to remove the brackets, just move your lca's back to the factory location. This is what I did only because with all my other suspension mods the brackets were the ones that finally made the ride too harsh for me. I had my UMI relocation brackets welded in too.

I've also read on this forum that LCA relocation brackets will harm your handling when you auto-x.

Another option could be get some adjustable LCA's so you could correct the thrust angle. Again I have adjustable LCA's because I assumed there would be variations in the brackets and the car as well that I could correct with adjustable LCA's.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM
egon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
I'm no expert but I wouldn't think it'd be necessary to remove the brackets, just move your lca's back to the factory location. This is what I did only because with all my other suspension mods the brackets were the ones that finally made the ride too harsh for me. I had my UMI relocation brackets welded in too.
Obviously I'm no expert either! I didn't even think about the obvious option of just leaving the brackets and moving the control arms back up. Thanks -- I like that idea.