Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible tops...no cover parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Default Convertible tops...no cover parking

I'm going to be buying a 08 GT soon. I'd LOVE to buy a convertible. I live in Washington state...where it rains...a lot and I do NOT have any covered parking.

I used to own a 91 GT convertible and I miss that car so damn much. The material used was like plastic and the "elements" took its toll.

Can anyone recommend any particular products or cleaning methods for a convertible top that will be exposed to the elements of the Pacific North West?

Thanks all!!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 AM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Actually

Would anyone NOT recommend a vert if they do NOT have any covered parking?

I guess I could buy a top cover.

Any vert owners who do NOT have covered parking?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

welcome fellow washington'ing, what part are you from?

also the tops on the mustangs can hold up pretty well to the eliments on the s197 but it will show its wear pretty quickly as most ppl on here will share with you. you could always get one of those "portable" tarp canopies.

If you are actually interested i have a buddy of mine in my mustang group selling his HEAVILY modified GT mustang convertible, it is red on black and it is a 5 speed. I want it so darn bad but i already have a stang haha it has a roush front end and a salleen rear end, it is absolutely amazing!

Let me know if you are interested because he is in seattle to...
Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I have a 2008 with a CLOTH roof and would not want to own it if I didn't have covered parking for both home and work.
They are not easy to clean those little yellow dots off (the kind the birds leave) and should a cat decide to sleep on your comfortable roof you will need to use a lint roller to remove the hair. That takes at least 3-4 sheets to get it all off.

I have a feeling the vinyl tops might be easier to maintain, but you'd probably have to keep up with it.

I would really recommend just going with the glassback roof for the PNW, what with all the rain, but you would have to get a later model year. I think those started in 2009.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

I have a vert without a garage for three years in Texas. I do drive almost every day year round with the top down. I have the cloth top. Indeed all said are true about cats, birds etc. However, structurally there is nothing wrong with the vert top being outside. If you are very particular on having a clean car then you will have a problem regardless if you do not garage it. If convertible is what you want there is no reason not to get it. Get the cloth, lasts longer, looks better.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 AM
07TX
1st Gear Member

I've had an 07 with the vinyl top for about 6 months now. It is always uncovered and in the Texas sun and heat. The black is a little faded- but it has been since I bought it. I use Meguiars protectant on it which restores the black color and lasts for a few weeks at a time. So far, I havent had any cracks or leaks or any other issues. I've only had the chance to have the top down a few times (so I dont soak my clothes and seats in sweat) but its been real fun so far.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

For uncovered parking why not investing in a good all-weather car cover?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PistolPez73
For uncovered parking why not investing in a good all-weather car cover?
Lets seeeeee.....

A 1999 Honda Accord
or
A 2008 Mustang GT Convertible........

Hmm...
Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
TheBeast05

I have an 05 Vert. I use Raggtopp cleaner and protectant on it and I use a brenspeed car cover. It has no problems.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:51 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Ah, yes, the pacific northwest...I am lucky, I do have a garage. Not sure what I would do if I didn't. Come Oct to basically late May, we will see nothing but rain. Mold will build up quickly. Recommend you contact Justin from Obsessive Detail.com, a sponsor here, to see what he would recommend.

Last edited by TPony; 09-04-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Convertible tops...no cover parking