Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy Labor Day to me. Celebrating with my speeding ticket.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 AM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Thats pretty dodgy stuff. This country's principles arent based off of what someone things regardless if they are a LEO. What ever happen to hard facts and evidence.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I don't know about Bleedinblue, but most law enforcement need PROBABLE CAUSE to even begin a persuit. Whether that's Radar confirmed speeding, clearly seeing them blow through a stop sign or stop light, etc...

It is common for an officer to write you a ticket, but depending on your actions will lower the speed to help you on the fine/points, but even still I would HIGHLY recommend fighting this.

As long as you present a good case to the judge, it could work in your favor. Giving up and tucking tail is just admitting guilt.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:35 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I'd pay the ticket and count myself lucky it didn't go on my driving record where the insurance company could soak me for 3 years!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhawkr
I'd pay the ticket and count myself lucky it didn't go on my driving record where the insurance company could soak me for 3 years!

Same here. Pay it and move on.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:32 AM
OBleedingMe

Fight it, bro. They need to have evidence. If they didn't need to clock your speed, police departments wouldn't bother investing money in the purchasing of, training of, and maintainance of speed reading devices like radar and laser guns.

You have a case. There is no evidence. A myraid of reason could have made the trooper *think* you were speeding when you actually weren't (exhaust note, downshifting, upshifting, forced perspective)... which is why has a radar gun, so he can confirm his suspisions. He either used the device improperly or didn't use it at all.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Superbender
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the law Shella,either get a lawyer who specializes in this type of infraction or pay it and consider your self lucky he didnt get you on radar

Last edited by Superbender; 09-03-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: opps
Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
If you fight it Shella, you will lose.

I have never wrote a ticket when I couldn't 100% confirm someone's speed, either by radar or pacing, but under the right circumstances I would. I have seen others do so and I've seen it successfully prosecuted in court.

95% chance that if this trooper thought you were doing 80+, he genuinely believed it and can testify to that in court. Him writing the speed for lower than he thought you were going is not a defense, that happens all the time. I low-ball nearly all of my speeding tickets, when the driver is respectful.

Don't count on the trooper not showing in court either, when we don't show up for court, WE GET IN TROUBLE.

Here you go Shella.

Take advice from this guy...
He does that for a living and knows both sides of the fence.
And as a Mustang enthusiast himself, he wouldn't steer you wrong with his advice.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

+1^^

I was thinking the exact same this when I read his post...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You're lucky that I wasn't the cop, Shella. You'd be doing HARD time.

Sorry to hear that and it really DOES F**K up one's day. I received my first ticket in about 20 years 2 weeks ago for rolling thru a stop sign (at MAYBE 5 MPH). IF there's nothing else on your record, you MAY consider fighting it. Just bat those eyelashes... I'D let you off (and I won't take THAT any farther, either...).

Good luck, sweet stuff.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 AM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Here's the way I see it. You know (or should have a general idea) of how fast you were honestly going. Consider that the officer DID, in fact, clock you at that speed... which may or may not be higher than what he wrote you up for. IF that speed was near 20 mph higher than the limit this would be a much bigger deal and the only thing we changed in the situation was that the officer had an actual number you were HONESTLY doing.

Im not accusing anyone of anything but you may consider the alternative here and say "this could be a lot worse." In the end I'd have to take BleedinBlue's advice and, if i really was breaking the law, take the lesser fine that he gave me and pay the honest price. Just my personal opinion, but its easy for me to say bc I'v never been ticketed... *knocks on wood*

Quick Reply: Happy Labor Day to me. Celebrating with my speeding ticket.