Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wider tires, smoothness of ride & MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

You arent going to get 10mpg so don't say that. You may get like 20mpg or something, it just really depends.

I have 4.10 gears and 275 tires out back and 255 tires in front. My car is lowered and has a tune on it with CAI. I get around 22-24mpg depending on the weather and the road im on.

You aren't going to see a large loss in mpg really but you will probably see a small drop, you probably wont notice it. You can make up with it by taking turns at speed without slowing down :-D at least thats what I do.

Have fun with it and don't worry too much about mpg, these cars actually get fairly good gas mileage for what kind of power they put down.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
...Gas mileage matters in today's world, incase you haven't figured that out yet, and it matters to people who even drive Mustang's... surprise! So lets stop with the "It's a mustang, who cares." You're right, it is a Mustang... and not some $300k supercar that gets 12mpg.
Of course it matters, Menace, but if it matters more than performance to YOU, then don't be miffed for those of us that take performance over mileage.

As I implied earlier, even if you lose 1-2 MPG due to a tire change, you can make up some if not all of that by simply changing driving habits. I know what I need to do to get the 26-27 MPG (hand caclulated) that my Stang is capable of but do I want to drive 55 MPH on those frequent 412 mile or occasional 1200 mile one-way trips? Sh*t no.

I'm sure you can understand how many of us find it amusing when someone is adamant on spending $600 for a CAI & tune or some other mod more because they THINK they can save 1-2 MPG's than for the performance gain.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
Yes, let us know. Are you replacing those only on the back or all 4? When I called Tire Rack they told me it was dangerous to go beyond the standard width of original spec tires because the tire could rub the wheel wells or frame.
255/45-18 IS a standard front tire (GT500). 285/40 IS a standard rear tire (same car). IOW, it's a no-brainer to use up to those sizes (assuming that you aren't playing with wheels with bad offset just to get a particular "look").

Norm
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

When I switch from OEM 235/55/17 to 275/40/18 NT01s my mileage drops to 8MPG. Burns about 5 gallons of high test every 30 minutes. Bone stock motor save for the CAI and tune.

But of course....this is on a road course with the pedal mashed to the floor on every straight.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
...but you are not gonna tell me that wider tires will provide a "smoother" ride. Most cases when you go with a wider tire, you are decreasing the profile of the tire (55 series to a 45). Theres no way a 45 series tire is going to be smoother than a 55...its less sidewall height, which = harsher ride.
You do know that the 55 and 45 series numbers on a tire are percentages of width and not a set height... right?

A 255/45/18 and 235/50/18 have nearly the same diameter (27.1" and 27.3" respectively), thus basically the same sidewall height. It is only wider, therefore covering more road surface with the same sidewall height = better ride.

BTW, the 255/45/18 size is right in the middle of the wheel width range for an 8.5" wide wheel according to Tire Rack's specs.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
I went from 235/50/18's to 255/45/18's on the factory bullits. Looks so much better. No difference in millage whatsoever.

The ride became plushier but i think that is due to the fact that these Nexen tires are marshmallows and have soft sidewalls. Not good for hard cornering.
I'd bet that having anybody's 255/45 tire mounted on 8.5" wide wheels will ride softer than almost any 235/50 on those same wheels. There's more sidewall bulge showing, which will "give" a lot more easily than sidewalls that are more nearly straight up-and-down.

Norm
Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Yes, let us know. Are you replacing those only on the back or all 4? When I called Tire Rack they told me it was dangerous to go beyond the standard width of original spec tires because the tire could rub the wheel wells or frame.
I am replacing all 4 at the same time with 255/45/18s.

I can't believe Tire Rack told you it would be dangerous to go wider than stock. They get a lot of plus sizing orders from their customers. Hell, even their website has alternative sizes for the factory 18" wheels that suggest 255/45/18s. Maybe you got a newbie that is fresh out of training.

If you pull up a tire you like and look at the specs page, you will see that a 255/45/18 is for wheel sizes 7.5" to 9.5" wide. So I think that it will fit a stock 8.5" wide wheel just fine (middle of the range). You should have no rubbing issues whatsoever.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Do wider tires give a smoother ride or rougher ride?
Yes . . . and no. A wider tire won't fall into every hole that a narrow tire will. But in general if the profile is lower, the ride tends to be a little firmer. Keep in mind that not all (say) 255/45-18 tires will provide the same ride quality, as carcass construction differences do make for different NVH performance.

How about gas mileage? Do wider tires hurt gas mileage?
In most cases, not by enough to matter much. Tires that are specifically designed to minimize rolling resistance *might* gain you 4% or so compared to a "standard" road tire. A streetable competition tire might cost you about the same or possibly a little more. Everything in between is going to differ from each other by less than that, maybe 2%.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-07-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I got my four 255/45ZR18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires installed last Saturday. They fit my factory 8.5" wide bullets perfectly (no sidewall bulging). This is the size tire the car should have come with from the factory.

Impressions: The car does ride smoother, but that could be from the new tire with full treads. I have not experienced any trameling with these tire as some have said, so I am very pleased with my purchase. The 255s give the car a more aggressive stance with the wide tire look.

Last edited by jdmcbride; 09-21-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I got my four 255/45ZR18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires installed last Saturday. They fit my factory 8.5" wide bullets perfectly (no sidewall bulging). This is the size tire the car should have come with from the factory.

Impressions: The car does ride smoother, but that could be from the new tire with full treads. I have not experienced any trameling with these tire as some have said, so I am very pleased with my purchase. The 255s give the car a more aggressive stance with the wide tire look.
please pics

Quick Reply: Wider tires, smoothness of ride & MPG