Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't turn over after flash (07 GT)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Does the SCT let you load the tune if the Strategy Code doesn't match?

Let's say my car's Strategy has been changed (different from the sticker) and I don't know it....if I try to load a custom tune written for the sticker Strategy it's going to brick my car?

Do you need to verify the Strategy before loading?...and does it say what Strategy the custom tunes are written for??

Just trying to figure this all out before I load a custom tune on my car for the first time this Friday.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 AM
lbytesxk

To answer a few questions here that came up, I'm the original owner and no the airbag reflash was never done to my car. I remember I got the notice form Ford but somehow I never had it done, so if the ECU sticker is wrong then some bozo on the assembly line put the wrong sticker on it.
Also, a talked a mechanic who informed me that even if the tune file I downloaded is corrupt or the strategy code was wrong, the car should still crank over, perhaps even start. Although it would run really bad. But the point is, it WOULD crank. Mine does not, it's like the starter solenoid is bad. Could be a blown fuse. I found out the solenoid fuse is under the dashboard on the passenger side inside not where the bigger fuse box is under the hood. but it was too late and my car was being towed to the Ford dealership so I couldn't check it. I somehow refuse to believe that the flashing process zombied my ECU, although at this point everything is a possibility. Hopefully it's going to be something trivial like a blown fuse. I will post it when I finally know, so if this ever happens to someone which I hope it will never happen, then there will be some facts to consider. The past 3 days I have been pretty restless, my wife keeps telling me that it's only a "car" but still, I'm PO-ed, angry and dying to know what causing this.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I hate to think that your tune from Tuneable Inductions is the culprit. Not many folks on the forums us TI since the AM and Brenspeed tunes are so heavily touted. And I'm sure we all would feel the same sense of restlessness and dissatisfaction as you're feeling. Good luck and let us know what transpires.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 AM
lbytesxk

Here she is being towed, very sad event all on its own

Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

very sad indeed
Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 AM
lbytesxk

OMG, the Ford shop just called and they said my PCM was wiped. So they restored it but now it runs lean and the check engine light is on because of the CAI.
So I called TI and told them what happened, they will check and make sure they sent me the correct files based on my strategy code. I need to find out if the strategy code in the PCM match the one the label.
This is slowly but surely turning into a nightmare. Ken at TI said they never heard of this problem before, I think the strategy code is mislabeled.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I recall reading previous threads where there's a way to connct the SCT to your OBD port and get the current strategy code with out having to write anyting to the PCM. I've never done it so I hope others that know will chime in.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 AM
lbytesxk

Well I asked the gentleman who called from the dealership to verify the "strategy code". He came back with 7ZF1G80A, I told him it should be like a 4 character string, look on the label next to the fuse box, it says KHK2. He said that's the only ECM code he knows of. So much for that. he also made me aware that in most cases people who mess with custom tuners end up having their ECM replaced which costs north of $1,000. Ouch. Now I'm really torn between going back to stock intake and trying the flash again.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't attempt a reflash until you determine what caused the wipe (assuming the dealer didn't just replace a fuse and is feeding you BS). Considering you're one of a very small percentage of folks that have had an issue like this (compared to those that have reflashed successfully), I'd want to now if it's TI's tune file or a simple case of "mistaken strategy". I'd also be willing to place money that, IF the dealer DID reflash you back to stock, that your strategy code has changed from what it was.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

like Nuke says, you can use your handheld to read the vehicles
strategy code. yes it does look different than the code on the
pcm label. just give your tuner the code you read with your
handheld.

Quick Reply: Car won't turn over after flash (07 GT)