Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500, aftermarket HU, and steering wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:09 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Pull your radio out first and take a look. It only takes a few minutes to pull it out. honestly, you can have it out in 5 minutes. If it has two plugs, then it has a wired remote turn on. If it has three, it uses a turn on signal from the canbus, and you need the expensive one. On a side note, did you see where I linked the parts? Unless your set on crutchfield, you can save some cash.

I had the shaker 1000 in my 08, she had a shaker 500 in the 09. Aside from that the only difference was hers also had the mycolor option. But between the two cars it was a entirely different animal when it came to wiring.
Well, I'm still in Afghanistan at the moment, so I can't really pull the radio. I ordered the stuff so it would be there waiting for me. If I don't need it, oh well, its not THAT big of a deal. I got a discount on it anyway. I did check out the links, but crutchfield helped me out quite a bit while I was on the phone with them and stuff, so I decided to just go with them.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:17 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

yeah, with either setup and running a nav unit, it still simplifies the install by keeping you from having to wire in all over the car.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

If the car doesn't have NAV, then it won't have C BUS harness requirements.

Also, this link will help answer questions about the 5 volt mod.

AVIC install help

Ignore the title, this will still give you assistance for your install.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:14 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
If the car doesn't have NAV, then it won't have C BUS harness requirements

False... man I keep seeing people post in here about our stereos with out knowing. I mean if you bothered to read page one, you would see where I described multiple times that my moms shaker 500 had the canbus interface and no remote turn on for the radio..... This isnt like I am guessing, or I have only seen it one way, I dont know how much more clearer I can be.

SOME SHAKER 500s AND 1000s DO USE THE CANBUS INTERFACE AS WELL, AND DO NOT HAVE A REMOTE TURN ON LEAD TO THE RADIO. NOT ALL SYSTEMS INSTALLED IN OUR CAR ARE EQUAL. THE EASIEST WAY TO TELL WHAT INSTALLATION ADAPTER IS NEEDED FOR INSTALL, IS TO PULL THE RADIO AND CHECK TO SEE IF IT IS 2 CONNECTORS OR 3 GOING TO THE RADIO. IF THERE IS 3 CONNECTORS, YOUR RADIO IS INTERFACED TO THE CANBUS. ALL NAV UNITS ARE, BUT ALSO SIRUS EQUIPPED MAY ALSO BE.

This concludes my rant, I just want people to stop spreading misinformation.

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-18-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

False... man I keep seeing people post in here about our stereos with out knowing. I mean if you bothered to read page one, you would see where I described multiple times that my moms shaker 500 had the canbus interface and no remote turn on for the radio..... This isnt like I am guessing, or I have only seen it one way, I dont know how much more clearer I can be.

SOME SHAKER 500s AND 1000s DO USE THE CANBUS INTERFACE AS WELL, AND DO NOT HAVE A REMOTE TURN ON LEAD TO THE RADIO. NOT ALL SYSTEMS INSTALLED IN OUR CAR ARE EQUAL. THE EASIEST WAY TO TELL WHAT INSTALLATION ADAPTER IS NEEDED FOR INSTALL, IS TO PULL THE RADIO AND CHECK TO SEE IF IT IS 2 CONNECTORS OR 3 GOING TO THE RADIO. IF THERE IS 3 CONNECTORS, YOUR RADIO IS INTERFACED TO THE CANBUS. ALL NAV UNITS ARE, BUT ALSO SIRUS EQUIPPED MAY ALSO BE.

This concludes my rant, I just want people to stop spreading misinformation.
Those cars must be rare, because I haven't came across a Shaker 500 NON-NAV yet that has C-bus, and if I did....do you think I'm going to cry because I don't have a turn on wire. No, I can find that in multiple other locations in the dash area.

<----- Pro car audio installer for 12 years.

besides, do you know how much money I can save someone by avoiding the extra expense of the added module in this car (and have in various other cars) by tapping switched power elsewhere. It's not like he has NAV on that radio needing a speed sensor wire or other vital functions (I can tap that elsewhere too). Geez!

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 09-18-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:25 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Those cars must be rare, because I haven't came across a Shaker 500 NON-NAV yet that has C-bus, and if I did....do you think I'm going to cry because I don't have a turn on wire. No, I can find that in multiple other locations in the dash area.

<----- Pro car audio installer for 12 years.

besides, do you know how much money I can save someone by avoiding the extra expense of the added module in this car (and have in various other cars) by tapping switched power elsewhere. It's not like he has NAV on that radio needing a speed sensor wire or other vital functions (I can tap that elsewhere too). Geez!
I love "professional installers." Instead of admitting you were actually wrong and spreading incorrect information publicly, you point to your 12 years and say that it doesn't matter, you can just hack it in anyway. Also what I said you COULD do also on previous page if you did have a canbus turn on and didn't want to buy the CORRECT module to do it without tapping other spots on the car. A novice installer isn't going to want to run a lead and tap the computer for the speed sensor, the ebrake for the safety switch, the transmission for the reverse sensor, and the headlight switch for illumination. I didn't need 12 years of "professional" experience to to figure that out.

Tell me this, how much are you going to charge for a customer that would walk in, want everything enabled, including the cheaper harness. To tap everything they want tapped, and the fact that any shop you can walk into is gonna be charging, probably $19 for the regular harness (give or take $5) You gonna tell me a professional shop is going to charge less then 80 in labor to run there own remote turn on, tap the computer, tap the transmission or the reverse light itself, tap the brake, tap the headlight switch and run the sat cable? No shop up here will do it that cheap and have it all enabled.

I get what your saying, anyone with a lot of experience, electrical and mechanical know how, CAN get it installed without a problem, no matter what is in the dash. The point is the information were putting up here is for some one less experienced. Also the information is now in a public database where were talking to a audience where 90% of the people wouldn't be able to do it. So unless your trying to drive up your personal sales for botched installs that someones friend said they can do for them (yeah, I know installer speak too) we need to watch the advice we give and check for accuracy.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:45 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

If the car doesn't have NAV, then it won't have C BUS harness requirements.

Also, this link will help answer questions about the 5 volt mod.

AVIC install help

Ignore the title, this will still give you assistance for your install.

Thanks for the link. I've heard the popping sound isn't bad, but that doesn't look too hard to install. I've never installed an aftermarket radio, so hopefully I can find which wires that uses.

Oh and one reason I went with the fancy harness is because my radio is nav ready, I just have to get the nav unit to put in there. When I get back to the states I'm planning on doing that, so the fancy harness just makes everything easy.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

You gonna tell me a professional shop is going to charge less then 80 in labor to run there own remote turn on, tap the computer, tap the transmission or the reverse light itself, tap the brake, tap the headlight switch and run the sat cable?
are you installing an in dash DVD or a remote start security system?

My "save money" comment was based on the need of an ignition power only, and the non-needed module assuming the car had C-Bus. If I needed more, I would tell the customer he would come out cheaper to buy the module. Five minutes to tap an extra wire for switched power isn't a big deal when I can transfer minimal (versus the module) money to labor instead of selling a module they really don't need. But again, so far....OEM NAV units only thus far.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

you might want to be careful with the highlighted area as its not true for all cars. For example, my car the $10 harness was fine. My moms 09 with mycolor option however, was not the case, as I painfully found out. The difference is in her car there was a third plug that mine did not have. That was the communication circuit, not sure if our cars are canbus or whatever. Anyway, long story short, there is no switched input on hers. The module creates a switched input for aftermarket radios
My 08 had the 3rd plug and it was just a stock 500 shaker unit I replaced. I used the pac harness and it was all plug and play....worked like a charm. No popping at startup and all the factory amps/subs seem to be working properly.
I f"in lose it sometimes when guys spend hundreds of dollars on a unit, and then try and skimp out on a cheap harness to wire it up!
You are tripping over dollars to get to pennies doing this with the time and trouble it saves you with the install.

PAC harness wired to the aftermarket harness, ready to install. The little black box is the control module that makes it all function properly...without it, problems will likely occur. Good luck with the install.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

JD I respect your knowledge but you are making this harder than it is. You CAN make your own harness, with resistor for the amp, without spending $100+ on the PAC harness. If you are a person that likes convenience, by all means. If you don't have the know-how to build the harness correctly, by all means. Otherwise, save yourself some money.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500, aftermarket HU, and steering wheel questions