Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in vaule of a 2006 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Well I guess you guys don't know how to haggle because I've ALWAYS gotten kbb mid range or higher on trade ins and usaa matching price on every new car I have purchased in the past 9 years. They don't offer it willingly but I pit multiple dealers against each other to get what I want. I paid $29k out the door with all tax, tags, fees, etc on my '10 vert and they gave me mid range kbb on both my trades. I had to work for that but in the end that's what I got. If you accept less than kbb then that's your fault I suppose especially because the used car market is HOT right now and resale dealer prices are high.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

The dealers use galves and also go by auction prices.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
Well I guess you guys don't know how to haggle because I've ALWAYS gotten kbb mid range or higher on trade ins and usaa matching price on every new car I have purchased in the past 9 years. They don't offer it willingly but I pit multiple dealers against each other to get what I want. I paid $29k out the door with all tax, tags, fees, etc on my '10 vert and they gave me mid range kbb on both my trades. I had to work for that but in the end that's what I got. If you accept less than kbb then that's your fault I suppose especially because the used car market is HOT right now and resale dealer prices are high.
You're not getting anything for free, no dealer will give away a car, at least not often. They are either making money on the new car, dealer hold-backs from corporate on the new car, your trade, kickbacks from captive finance companies, and so on. KBB values are always high, this is just a fact. A dealer wont buy your trade for more than he can buy one at an auction. And if it appears that he did, you can bet your *** that he's making money on you in another way.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

^Agree
Old 09-18-2010, 10:40 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Agree all you want but the fact remains that I got usaa price on mine with mid range kbb on BOTH trades and 0% for 36 months on my 2010. What you say is usually true but there are many exceptions to that rule. It's up to YOU to find them and work them out to make it happen. Not being afraid to walk out and waiting for the best incentives and industry economic conditions are key.

My focus I got even under the usaa price. They tried to jack me for that one when I got there and I walked out. They had driven to PA to collect the car for me and then tried to raise the price on me when I got there. I walked out and waited for the end of the month when they were desperate to make their monthly numbers and then magically they offered me the original price. They were very pissy about it too and didn't make any money on that deal other than the extra percentage point on the loan that I know they steered me towards. Some dip$h1t bank in Rhode Island apparently was the 'only' bank that would qualify me for 5.9% which I thought was an unacceptable rate. I told them I found it 'curious' that Ford Credit's rates weren't comparable at the time but honestly I threw them that bone because I will have the car paid off in 6 months anyway so the APR wasn't that big of a deal. I knew they were scamming me on a steered loan but I allowed them to make a little crumb off of me. Doubtful that dealer will ever sell me another car again because they know I know what I am doing and they made little to nothing off of me on both cars they sold me last year.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I bought this GT for 23k, and it stickered for $29,500, lol. Not all dealers are willing to work hard for the business, so when they don't, you just walk. You have to play the game with them is all, and that has to do with trade-in value, new car price, and finance rate, etc. They pretty much will never make a deal and earn zero on it, that much is certain... The #1 rule in negotiating a car deal, is NEVER, and I mean NEVER negotiate on payment up front. Deal in whole #s so that you can see them on paper, THEN inquire about financing if you need it. Before you go in, you should have a pretty good idea of what rates are and what you could probably qualify for. Sometimes they'll try and slip that extra 1% in under the radar.If they insist on asking about payment, just refuse to talk about the deal in those terms.

Last edited by Mudflap; 09-18-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:08 PM
T8Stanggt
3rd Gear Member

I always get my stangs with FMC. My 06 was 0% for 72 months and my current one is 0% for 60. I give them the payments i wanted to be at and I would sign. It was a done deal.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 AM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T8Stanggt
I always get my stangs with FMC. My 06 was 0% for 72 months and my current one is 0% for 60. I give them the payments i wanted to be at and I would sign. It was a done deal.
I really hope you didn't negotiate on payment. Sure they told you 0% APR but they made it up in trade in or new car price especially if you paid sticker for the new car which some people are apparently doing.

I had an '06 with 41K miles on it and I negotiated it to $15K which was ok not the best but it was fair since the tires were bald. Clean everywhere else and well cared for. Got my new '11 for $3K under sticker. I figure the dealer got $1K in profit on my new car and he'll get $2K off the trade in. I had to drive to find a dealer who wouldn't play games, but it is worth it.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 AM
jiga
2nd Gear Member

I purchased my 06 with 37k miles on it for $16,800 if I remember right. Was at $22k out the door after TTL, ext. warranty, etc.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I hope if you're walking in and giving payments, that you've already done all the math before you even got there. If not, you could have paid thousands more than you had to. Its sort of like how most dealers come back from the manager the first time with a sheet of paper showing the car at MSRP and your trade at 5k less than its real value, with a big X_________ drawn on it. I guess they figure 1/10 people will just say "ok", so its worth trying...

Quick Reply: Trade in vaule of a 2006 GT