Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what do to!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 AM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

Default Not sure what do to!

I am moving from Las Vegas to Missourri on Dec 1st, and I need to get my 2011 Mustang GT there. I'm really worried about:

A. Having to possibly drive through snow in Flagstaff, Arizona, which is the most southerly major interstate that I can take.

B. Having my car get all chipped up with rocks. My wife wants us to take a detour up to Denver, then take I-70W through Kansas to MO. I know Colorado puts gravel on their roads in the winter, and I really don't want my new car getting all chipped up.

I've looked into these options:

1. Clearbra, obviously. But I was quoted a minimum of $600 for just 12" of hood coverage. The power dome will be left unprotected. Way too expensive for that little of coverage. I can also repaint the front end for close to that cost.

2. Hood "bra." Blows around too much in the wind and will scratch up the paint.

3. Putting "racers tape" or masking tape on the car for the trip. So far, this is the only option I'm considering. Downside: not a ton of protection against rocks.

4. Having the car shipped: again, expensive, around $700.

Any ideas? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

If your going to be driving it around Missouri during the winter you'll run into the same problems. In St.Louis they put salt and stuff on the roads, plus Missouri roads are pretty crappy in general. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but you might want to plan for it.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What yourmyboy said above.

If your car's a DD, then it'll see more damage from local driving than the trip to misery.

But I look at it this way: Roadtrips in the Stang are pure joy. I've driven over 4,000 miles in a 12 day period in additiion to dozens upon dozens of short, 1000 mile trips. Just do it and plan on holing up for the night when conditions deteriorate. Besides, by early December the road surfaces still have enough latent heat that any accumulation melts very fast.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

Well, once I get there, the car is actually going to be garaged for the winter except for some short trips around the neighborhood.

Here's one idea. I could put racers tape on the front, then put some contact paper over that to give it the added strength. Crazy, perhaps, but just might work, as long as it doesnt rain.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

If shipping it cost about the same as a ClearBra, then I would have it shipped. That way it's insured and you know it is enclosed with no debris getting on it. It will look like it did when you left Vegas.

Last edited by 07 Stang; 10-03-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:53 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

personally i would drive it, like nuke said its a ton of joy. Just dont worry about it
Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
MustangJim21
1st Gear Member

Have you looked into renting a U-Haul pick up & trailer, then towing your car. Just put a cover on it or atleast something in the front so salt or stones which may be kicked up from the truck tires do not hit your stang.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
What yourmyboy said above.

If your car's a DD, then it'll see more damage from local driving than the trip to misery.

But I look at it this way: Roadtrips in the Stang are pure joy. I've driven over 4,000 miles in a 12 day period in additiion to dozens upon dozens of short, 1000 mile trips. Just do it and plan on holing up for the night when conditions deteriorate. Besides, by early December the road surfaces still have enough latent heat that any accumulation melts very fast.
Lol @ Misery, thats a new one.

OP, I would just drive it and if it makes you feel better put that tape on the front. I mainly catch rock trips on the front of my wheel wells where the bumper meets the fender.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

If you're concerned about wear and tear on a car.. then just ship it. But you know murphy's law.. you ship it and the first time you take it out for a joy ride and here comes that rock..

I can see you being concerned about driving IN the snow though.. that would be a challenge. Depends if you have another vehicle.. That would be MY reason to ship it.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

If its gonna be Dec, it might not even be snowing...right?
I say drive her, she will love you for it!
Road-trips are what I live for nowadays. When you say, I gotta get on my horse...you mean it!

As far as the road rash goes, i look at it as destiny. You could have a rock fly through your windshield the drive home from the dealership...if its gonna happen, its gonna happen.

Drive and enjoy.
Good luck!

Last edited by mayo; 10-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.