Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what do to!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
Depends where you're moving in Missouri. The last two winters here in St. Louis I think we have had only TWO sizable winter storms. Then a few 1 inchers here and there. If this winter is like the last two there will maybe be only about 6 or so days I wouldn't drive my car due to road conditions.

If you're moving to more northern Missouri though expect more snow and ice and ALOT colder during the winter.

If its in South East MO its a lot warmer and dont have to worry about snow much especially in the bootheel. SW MO gets ice more but it doesn't stay long.
Yeah, I grew up in STL but haven't lived there in the past 2 years. I know there were a few winters that sucked though. Plus around my area, they freak out if there is even a chance of snow and throw down the chemicals and stuff. I lived in Rolla and Springfield for a little bit for school, they wern't bad. We got one bad storm in Rolla, that was the same year Springfield got slammed with ice. I'd say north of I-70 though, expect some not so nice winters. I had some friends who went to Truman and they always complained about it.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
If shipping it cost about the same as a ClearBra, then I would have it shipped. That way it's insured and you know it is enclosed with no debris getting on it. It will look like it did when you left Vegas.
I'd get the clear bra. I have one on my car and it is great. Plus, you would be able to drive and enjoy your car without worrying about the front end getting all chipped up...on your move and once you get to Missouri.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
I'd get the clear bra. I have one on my car and it is great. Plus, you would be able to drive and enjoy your car without worrying about the front end getting all chipped up...on your move and once you get to Missouri.
Maybe he doesn't want the extra miles on it nor the risk of something damaging the paint.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:43 PM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

It's definitely not going to be a show car, but not exactly a daily driver either, though it is right now in Las Vegas.

I might look into the front end factory bra. I was just always under the assumption that it would scratch up the front end really bad.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Maybe he doesn't want the extra miles on it nor the risk of something damaging the paint.
Possible, but at some point you have to take it out of the garage . I'd rather enjoy the car without worry, than to be constantly thinking about that rock that MIGHT knock off a block of paint.

But to each his own.

OP, it's your car, do what you feel is right. If it were me and I had spent that money on the car, I wouldn't flinch and I'd have the clear bra on there in a heartbeat.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
you're getting some good tips but also a lot of worthless info!

Only someone with a 50 cent deductible is going to file a claim with his insurance policy for chips in his paint. Most folks have $100-1000 deductibles.
Thanks for that info, didnt realize deductibles were not fifty cent anymore, need to check my policy....

What I was saying was, instead of dropping $600 on a bra, drive it and in the off chance you get chipped, its not going to cost you more than the bra would have in the first place. Chances are you dont spend nearly as much.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 PM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

Well, I found a clear bra installer (x-pel) that will do the front bumper and the very front of the hood for 300. That's reasonable. But, because our hoods with the exposed power dome are so flat, essentially, I think every part of the hood is vulnerable to rock chips. So you'd have to cover the whole hood to be completely safe, and that costs about 1500!!!

I may just buy a custom fit car bra (89 dollars) and put 3M tape underneath it to ensure it doesn't scratch for the trip. Just a one time use thing.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The clearbra is going to block 99% of what might hit you. I've used X-Pel installers a few times in the past with top notch results. That said, the cheap bra solution works as well. Thats what I did when I moved to Dallas from Seattle a few years ago. Don't worry about putting anything under it, its not going to scratch your car. They are like a felt material in the inside. If you want to be completely ****, just wax the front-end before putting it on.