Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve spring compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:22 AM
LinkWilliams
1st Gear Member

Default Valve spring compressor?

Ok just a quick thought.... Im replacing the cams in the car today and I keep hearing about this valve spring compressor. I understand the idea behind it but Im just wondering of its importance in the job. I am a Technician by trade (not Ford) been working on overhead cam engines for years and i have yet to remove a follower before taking a cam out. As long as i removed the bearing caps little by little, I have never had a problem. Is Ford different, can you not do a cam replace WITHOUT the spring compressor? Please let me know as i plan on doing the job today WITHOUT the compressor.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LinkWilliams
Ok just a quick thought.... Im replacing the cams in the car today and I keep hearing about this valve spring compressor. I understand the idea behind it but Im just wondering of its importance in the job. I am a Technician by trade (not Ford) been working on overhead cam engines for years and i have yet to remove a follower before taking a cam out. As long as i removed the bearing caps little by little, I have never had a problem. Is Ford different, can you not do a cam replace WITHOUT the spring compressor? Please let me know as i plan on doing the job today WITHOUT the compressor.
It's been done the way you are planning. I would be interested in a follow up with some pics if you can.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 AM
LinkWilliams
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
It's been done the way you are planning. I would be interested in a follow up with some pics if you can.
Im going to do it today, ill take some pics for you
Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

I'd be very careful. Cams are brittle
Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I hope you at least have a wedge tool for the chains. I cringe every time I see someone skating around using the special tools. Be careful is all I gotta say. People have broken their cam journal caps or have stripped the journal threads in the heads trying to cheat.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
LinkWilliams
1st Gear Member

Well the cam job went well. The wedge used was a 1/2 garden hose folded in half lol seriously it was. We did the entire job in 1 1/2 hours. The cams are AWSOME!!!!!! We also didnt use a spring compressor. So and 8 mm socket a 7 mm socket a 10mm and a garden hose will get your cams replace. One of the easiest cam swaps i have ever done. Me and another guy ( both with over 23 years of Toyota experience ) did this job. I was so worried about not using a spring compressor but thinking about it and realizing that i have replaced more overhead cams in Toyota's than you can imagine, it was a breeze.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Great. Glad it went well.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 PM
LinkWilliams
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Great. Glad it went well.
Hey Bruce, what kind of tires are you running to get those 11 second runs ?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Congrats Link. I was worried for you until I read your last post. Obviously your a pro!! Now get the video done and posted. Timmbo's video was the one that sold me on cams...............so freaking cool!!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:10 AM
LinkWilliams
1st Gear Member

ummmm about the video....... doing a cam swap during your lunch hour doesnt give much time for for video recording lol, I will post some pics though. Maybe one day Ill get a friend to let me do a cam swap and ill record that one

Quick Reply: Valve spring compressor?