Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT Firmware upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT Firmware upgrade question

I contacted Bama Chips today and they sent me a new tune. I attempted to put it on my SCT Tuner. Even though it said it was installed successfully it did not show under my tunes. I called back and they stated that I needed to upgrade the firmware on the tuner. The tuner required me to return the car back to stock which I did. I then started the firmware upgrade which is already going on 3 hours and it seems that it will literally take all night. I have a C & L CAI installed so I am guessing I should not run the car on the stock tune. I have to go to work in the morning which is an hour away so I am freaking out. Is it normal for the firmware upgrade to take this long? I called Bama but the techs are gone for the night and the salesman was no help. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

One of the upgrades took about 45 minutes to complete on my X3 after downloading and starting the upgrade by putting the tuner into upgrade mode. The other was much shorter to do.

Last edited by snaf2u; 10-12-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:20 AM
LinkWilliams
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcieutat
I contacted Bama Chips today and they sent me a new tune. I attempted to put it on my SCT Tuner. Even though it said it was installed successfully it did not show under my tunes. I called back and they stated that I needed to upgrade the firmware on the tuner. The tuner required me to return the car back to stock which I did. I then started the firmware upgrade which is already going on 3 hours and it seems that it will literally take all night. I have a C & L CAI installed so I am guessing I should not run the car on the stock tune. I have to go to work in the morning which is an hour away so I am freaking out. Is it normal for the firmware upgrade to take this long? I called Bama but the techs are gone for the night and the salesman was no help. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem but i called SCT and you have to hold the cancel button down while plugging into USB port. Upgrade takes maybe a minute. You should call SCT when you have a problem with the tuner
Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 AM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

I did hold down the button when plugging it in but the display on the front did not change. It took 10 hours to update it. I then loaded the new tune on which the device did not take. Luckily I got the older tune back on the car so I can go to work today. When I get home I will try it again! Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Give us a call, the Bama team is here 9-5:30 EST.

It sounds like something isn't being done correctly. We can take remote control of your computer and complete the update for you. It should be a 15-20 minute process for EVERYTHING.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Rejeme

Agreed, you must hold the cancel button while plugging in the USB. The screen on the tuner will be lit but blank. Now you can install the update.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

When I first got my tuner a few weeks ago the first thing I did was upgrade the firmware. I held the cancel button down while plugging into the USB port and started the upgrade. About 5 hours later the progress bar hadn't moved. I aborted and rebooted my laptop. I then went to their website and downloaded the firmware and updated manually. It worked fine but I had to call Bama Tunes and have them email my three tunes to me to reload to my tuner.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-de...uner-tech.html
Old 10-13-2010, 03:15 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Thank you all for your input. I must have just missed it in the instructions where it said to ensure that the tuners screen goes blank. I held in the cancel button but the screen never did go blank. I was able to put the new firmware on (20 seconds!) and got the new tune on my car. Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Now, how did the tune work? Let us know!

Quick Reply: SCT Firmware upgrade question