Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smooth starts from 1st gone on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Hmmm.. There's more going on here I think. For instance, with the clutch fully depressed.. just coasting along.. moving the gear from 2-3-2-3 or 3-4-3-4 you hear and feel a lot of banging... almost as though the clutch isn't depressed all the way. UGH
Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

It is a very clunky tranny, especially when you are shifting at low RPMs. The MT82 does not like shifting much at 2000 RPM, which is rather DD driving. It is much more smoother and less jerky at 3000+ RPM shifts.

The MT82 is most clunkiest at 1st to 2nd shifts. So long as you shift at around 3000RPM, the MT82 shifts smoothly, even silky smooth.
At DD driving shifting of around 2000RPM, 2nd to 3rd is also and you do jerk the car and stress the drivetrain from the torque impulse. But it is not as bad as 1st to 2nd shift
4th to 5th shift at DD driving 2000RPM is still clunky, but no where near as bad as 2nd to 3rd shift at that same RPM.

All the clunkiness and torque impulse stress from the clutch engaging too damn fast can be eliminated by riding the clutch and letting the clutch slip. A sacrifice of your clutch to spare the rest of the drive train.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 10-16-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Damn Jim, did you learn all this AFTER you bought the car?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:08 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
One thing that hurts America and American jobs because we are losing so many skilled labor jobs to China is because we allow them to play unfairly.
I stopped reading right here. Plant/manufacturing work is unskilled labor. The only thing we are missing out on is the expertise of manufacturing planning. Want to help the country? Go to college or a trade school and learn how to do a little more than riveting the same joint 8 hours a day.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

To be honest I do have to say, in some sense the fact that our unskilled labor is being shipped overseas isn't always a bad thing. What we need to do to bring ourselves up to the next step as a global economy is become further educated and be able to take on more skilled jobs here at home.

Problem is that many people can't afford/don't want to get further educated. Until we make a move towards a more universal college education in this country, we won't be able to take advantage of the unseen economic gift given to us by exporting low skill jobs across the pond.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Going in on Monday. Stay tuned!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
To be honest I do have to say, in some sense the fact that our unskilled labor is being shipped overseas isn't always a bad thing. What we need to do to bring ourselves up to the next step as a global economy is become further educated and be able to take on more skilled jobs here at home.

Problem is that many people can't afford/don't want to get further educated. Until we make a move towards a more universal college education in this country, we won't be able to take advantage of the unseen economic gift given to us by exporting low skill jobs across the pond.
That's one somewhat idealized picture.

If you export all of the manufacturing and production, what you have left doesn't put any product on the shelf without dependency on import and adding to the trade deficit. Somehow, I can't see that being a universally good thing. Not all skills are taught in the classroom or learned from only reading books.

By education and profession, I'm a degreed engineer. But if I could do the last 45 years of this life over I wouldn't omit any of the non-engineering and generally non-college work experiences or sacrifice them in the name of chasing a narrowly defined career path. I wouldn't be a member here if I had.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-22-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 PM
m0nkeydump
2nd Gear Member

On topic, I feel like my V6 with 3.31 gears almost always buck and whatnot starting in first, unless I slip the clutch like a ****. Shifting at lower RPM from 1st to 2nd also bucks and jerky. It gets less jerky the higher gear I switch, such as 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, and so on.

I will admit that this is my first manual car. I've only driven it for about a week. Maybe it's just that I suck.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Hi All. Just a quick update: Car is at the dealer now. Presented the following description:

CLUTCH ENGAGING MUCH HIGHER THAN WHEN NEW. DIFFICULT TO MODULATE, PARTICULARLY IN FIRST FROM STOP CAUSING BUCKING, REQUIRES GREAT DEAL OF SLIPPAGE FOR SMOOTH STARTS. TRANSMISSION FREQUENTLY BANGS (2-3/3-4), SHIFTS ROUGH, SOMETIMES GRINDS GOING INTO GEAR EVEN WHEN CLUTCH FULLY DEPRESSED. CHECK AND ADVISE

Just spoke to the mechanic at the dealer and he said he experienced the grinding in my car first hand going from 2-3. He stated they have seen a problem with some pressure plate bolts backing out on the 5.0 with manual tranny which eventually damages the clutch. They are also a huge Roush dealer so definitely Mustang experts. He's going to send a report off to Ford Engineering and he suspects they'll have him drop the tranny and see what's going on in there. Stay tuned!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Good news then...lets hope for the best!

Quick Reply: Smooth starts from 1st gone on 5.0