Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush M90 deal...install notes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:10 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
one small, flat blade screwdriver usually works for me. i'll stick in, on one
side of the clip and gently pry the clip open while pushing the clip
off (towards the middle of the engine). you can gently bend them back into shape before reinstall, as needed.
I used my fingers but paid for it. OP you will figure it out just by looking, no big deal.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 PM
cantwin1
1st Gear Member

Great pointers everyone.

I know all about staring at the UPS driver waiting on the package!!

BruceH I had looked at it in the driveway with a flashlight, after a 14 hour work day and couple hours on the car. I got brought it in last night, looked at it first thing this morning...yea...a flat blade and a quick flip!

Notes:
Instructions have a single addendum page changing the intercooler water pump mounting. Both old and new instructions say to use a bolt left from the front bumper mounting...you will need TWO of those bolts.

Water heater tube that goes thru the valley and mounts onto a stud on the back of the passenger side head....careful with that stud...my 15 year old snapped it off with an open end wrench. Man I was pissed...kid felt all bummed. Problem is no way to reach it to tap it out, and the other end is just a 'slip joint' with O-rings. No tension on it so....I'll just hope it never works loose.

Anyone know how much coolant we'll need??
I think I've only drained maybe a gallon and a half, but have no clue how much the intercooler will take to fill.

Getting ready to put the intake on next....getting REAL anxious!!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

i drained the rad and disconnected the lower rad hose,i bought a 4L jug of coolant from ford(40 bucks for it)just because its gold doesn't mean they should charge gold price for it! mix it 50/50! you will have to do something about the bolt! if i'm not mistaken there is a unused hole in the head you could make a bracket! did the stud brake flush with the head? Did he maybe try turning the stud the wrong way?can't see that bolt braking! that bolt is a stud with nut on it
Old 10-17-2010, 07:54 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

I didn't do my own install, but I specifically had roush tell me that you have to be very careful when you get to the point of modifying the alternator. you have to cover the alternator to be sure the metal filings don't end up inside the alternator or it can go out. another note, from here on out if your alternator does go out no one will accept it as a core since it wont have the mounting tabs. If you are under warranty that alternator is the only part that will be unwarranted because of the modification.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the 411, didn't think of that...1/2 way done. So far no issues...going to spend this week doing the modifications. The instructions say to use "Brake Parts Cleaner" to clean the Air Box insert, but I think its too strong, black stuff was on the rag....

Originally Posted by BruceH
Use clean motor oil or vasaline for your orings. Be careful when lubing fastener threads as it increases torque load, in a nutshell don't do it unless specifically called out.
Attached Thumbnails Roush M90 deal...install notes?-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Roy_R; 10-18-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nice progress so far! i envy you for having so much fun with
your car...
Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Great info guys. Makes me feel good about my install when mine arrives.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I know this is gonna cost more cash but my advice on installation is have it installed at an authorized ROUSH dealer because of warranty issues.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I know this is gonna cost more cash but my advice on installation is have it installed at an authorized ROUSH dealer because of warranty issues.
Roush overstock carries no warranty, not even on parts.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

And some of us have no vehicle warranty left so DIY and save $ for beer and nukie! Lol

Quick Reply: Roush M90 deal...install notes?