Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brenspeed Advice question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Default Brenspeed Advice question

I emailed Chandler about my exhaust. I currently have O/R H pipe and Flowmasters. I have a rasp at 2500. He first suggested I put resonators to get rid of the rasp.

I then asked him if getting rid of the chambered flows and put on a stright through muffler would help. He said not really and suggested I get Pypes M80's as a mid muffler.

He tehn stopped responding to my emails, I guess because it was after business hours.

My question is which one is better? What are the benefits of either set up? Which one will be louder without the rasp? And which one will have the deeper throaty sound?

Chandler was very helpful and he also said that the M80's and resonators were basiclly the same thing. Are they?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
07 Showstopper
2nd Gear Member

With a H-pipe setup youre probably going to have that rasp. You could change over to a X-pipe which would clean it up, but resonators are only going to make the rasp less noticible by reducing the db rating by 5 or so and giving it a little bit deeper sound. I think the raspy sound is sick though on the GTs, especially if it has nascar-like pitch.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i have LT's, o/r x pipe, M80's mid mounted, and MBRP muffler deletes.
M80's are similar to resonators, but technically they are straight thru race mufflers, like magnapacks, or dynomax race bullets.
i classify them as mufflers bc they have packing material like a like a muffler that lowers sound levels and raspiness.
basically they are the same bc they lower sound levels and smooth out the sound, but i would say a true resonator is like a flowmaster outlaw, or moroso spiral flow which both do not have packing material so it remais pretty loud.
midmounted M80's will be louder than M80's plus flows
the midmounted M80's will be louder and deeper than with the flows
if you want to get rid of the rasp, i would just get rid of the flows all together.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

Resonators are just a straight thru muffler with no packing and turned around.
i have LTs, O/R h-pipe and chambered mufflers and i had some serious resonating, so i welded some 12" glass pacs in backwards... now i get compliments at every turn.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

I thought resonators were just high flow cats. So if I get the M80's and leave the flows will that get rid of the rasp? Or should I get resonators and leave th flows? Which one would be louder?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have the flowmaster with the H pipe and at first the trumpeting was horrible. Chandler suggested I install some High Flows. I did. Best thing i could have done. Cleaned up my exhaust sound and i still have maintained that nice sound with the cams
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

How much did the high flows reduce the volume of the car? I wonder why Chandler is giving me two different ways to go? Now Im really confused. I dont want the volume to be reduced and I dont want the rasp.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM
07 Showstopper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jobeonnet
Resonators are just a straight thru muffler with no packing and turned around.
i have LTs, O/R h-pipe and chambered mufflers and i had some serious resonating, so i welded some 12" glass pacs in backwards... now i get compliments at every turn.
How do glasspacks sound backwards? Just wondering...
Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
07 Showstopper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOLA26
How much did the high flows reduce the volume of the car? I wonder why Chandler is giving me two different ways to go? Now Im really confused. I dont want the volume to be reduced and I dont want the rasp.
Sorry I said resonators earlier when I was eally thinking about the dynomax race mufflers. Anyway, you could also try changing the mufflers out or even going straight through if thats legal where you live. Also maybe you could put electric cutouts after the headers? It definately wouldnt sound raspy then.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOLA26
almost anything (high flo or resonators) you put in your system will reduce the resonation, if you like the sound of your mufflers but want to just clean up the sound you can throw either in your system. the resonators wont change the volume much, im not sure about the high flows

Kirk

Quick Reply: Brenspeed Advice question