Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Tylus
$300 for the Remote Start on an Auto is a pretty decent price.

just be aware it isn't a "factory" item. Ford typically uses a Code Alarm remote start. Decent brand, but it requires you to use a 2nd tiny little remote ontop of the normal 4 button remote that all cars come with. so it would be kinda annoying IMO to carry 2 remote fobs.

I would instead visit a Audio Shop and have them install a whole new alarm system and remote start. Be $500 or less for the whole setup. Then you get a much more functional setup with a longer range. The OEM Ford remotes have a ****ty range

edit: And getting a Remote Start on a stick is just stupid
Does that also include the one he may be talking about when you goto the "Build and Price" Ford mustang website?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
If u do u need to have it installed correctly. There was a guy on this forum that had his mustang in the dealership for a routine maintence and when he went to pick it up it was in the pond. I believe it was a manual and the mechanic thought he had pressed the lock button and it infact started the car and then without realizing it drove itself into the rentention pond. I think he had the car in gear and did not have the emergency brake pulled. With the correct install u should only be able to start the car with the ebrake pulled but this guy had it so u didnt have to have ebrake pulled. Long story short the guy tried to get a new car out of the deal but since he incorrectly installed the push button mod he DID NOT.
Is Ford dealership tech stupidity covered by the warranty?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
The aftermarket remote start ended up in the lake.
Ford did not honor the damage claim since it was
improperly installed on a manual tranny stang...
Like handing a kid a loaded gun and hoping he does
not injure himself or others (someone could have
been standing in front of the driverless stang,
soon to be a boat then a submarine).
The neutral position switch and the hand brake switch
inputs had been by-passed by the owner/installer.
It worked fine for the owner/installer who knew how to
'properly activate it' but the stealership didnt know
the 'proper procedure' and it ended up in the lake
across the street from the dealership sans driver
The proper procedure was not parking it in gear and only the E brake engaged. I agree, the install was FAIL and why in my 12 years of car audio and security I wouldn't do it on a manual transmission, even if the proper fail safes were followed.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Speaking of remote start on a manual, how does that work? The clutch has to be depressed all the way before the car will even start even with the key turned in to start position.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Is Ford dealership tech stupidity covered by the warranty?
yes, if installed by a Dealership...but like many things, I'm sure they could find a way to weasel out of it

Speaking of remote start on a manual, how does that work? The clutch has to be depressed all the way before the car will even start even with the key turned in to start position.
there is a procedure to follow that involves pushing the brakes & the clutch and then the shifter has a position switch that senses neutral.

the remotes start itself has a jumper wire that defeats the Nuetral Kill switch after you follow the above mentioned procedure. then when you command, the jumper tricks the PCM into thinking clutch is depressed when the Remote start unit commands a start.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
Does that also include the one he may be talking about when you goto the "Build and Price" Ford mustang website?
as far as I can tell. I was offered that when I bought my 09, and a bunch of the 10/11 guys have been griping about it on another forum I frequent.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:52 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus

there is a procedure to follow that involves pushing the brakes & the clutch and then the shifter has a position switch that senses neutral.

the remotes start itself has a jumper wire that defeats the Nuetral Kill switch after you follow the above mentioned procedure. then when you command, the jumper tricks the PCM into thinking clutch is depressed when the Remote start unit commands a start.
I just thought of something, and I am damn surprised if Ford has not already thought of this:
For remote start on a manual, just "tune" the remote start to trick the circuitry that the clutch is depressed. But if the tranny is in gear, leave that circuitry to NOT remote start.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

it's a liability issue. Ford never has, nor will they ever offer RS with a stickshift.

search for luckydawg or "dealership pond"...you'll see exactly why it's a moronic idea that is bound to lead to trouble
Old 10-31-2010, 06:02 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

or failblog.com
Old 10-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

or failblog.com
failblog.org

You sir, have failed.

Quick Reply: remote start?