Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on K & N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Got GT?

Default Question on K & N Air Filter

Hi all,

I have a question as I am thinking about adding a K & N air filter to the factory CAI that came with my '10 Mustang GT.

K & N advertises that their air filters add horsepower to any engine you put them on. The only issue I have with that statement if that they don't say how much HP they add. Does anyone know how many more ponies I'll get by adding the K & N air filiter? My GT is completely OEM, with the 4.6 V8 currently giving me 315 HP with 325 ft lbs of rear wheel torque since I use premium gas.

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

315/325 seems awfully high for rwhp given that that is what they're rated at the crankshaft.

The K&N might net you anywhere from 0-6hp if I had to guess.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you are looking to gain HP, get a Cold Air Intake and Tuner combo with a tune from somewhere like AmericanMuscle or Brenspeed.

I would count on the K&N giving you squat as far as HP.

Your stock 10 Mustang is NOT putting down 315HP to the wheels, that is what it is rated at to
the crank. Regardless of you using premium fuel or not.
You are going to be running about 268HP or so to the wheels.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-28-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

I once swapped in a K&N filter when I still had the stock air box. All I noticed was some smoother engine response at best, and that could've just been in my head. The real selling point of the K&N filter is that it's re-usable, so you save money in the long run.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Drop-ins are useless. Spend the money on a proven power adder; CAI & custom tune. ANY change to the intake that doesn't require retuning is wasted money.

You must be pretty young since you actually BELIEVE advertised HP gains. Next thing we'll see is a TB spacer on your engine...
Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

You wont notice anything with a K&N until it gets oil on your mass air sensor and throws a code. They do allow better air flow for about 2 hours but after that...notta! Get a cai/tune package or replace the paper filter on a regular basis.
Don't buy into the bs pal...k&n is and always has been a joke and might get you better throttle response for a short period of time, but hp gains...forget about it.

Ultimate getto mod list:
K&N drop in
Tornado intake insert
Throttle body spacers
ect, ect....starting to get the idea?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Ultimate getto mod list:
K&N drop in
Tornado intake insert
Throttle body spacers
What do you mean getto, each one of thos is good for 20hp, when I did the math and added them all up thats 60rwhp right there.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

With any stand alone CAI, you may only see 3 - 5 HP increase. When I installed my Airaid CAI, which does not require a tune, I felt a little more throttle response in the higher RPM ranges. The performance adder is mainly in the custom tune. I would highly recommend a tuner and custom tunes from Brenspeed or American Muscle, which are two very reputable companies.
Good luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:12 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

You have a stock CAI, and according to AM it is more than enough for a 2010. Somewhere around 840 cfm is what it flows. I just used a drop in K & N and Bama tuned. I use the 93 octane "race" tune. That is about all I need.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
You have a stock CAI, and according to AM it is more than enough for a 2010. Somewhere around 840 cfm is what it flows. I just used a drop in K & N and Bama tuned. I use the 93 octane "race" tune. That is about all I need.

+1

There's a thread on this forum where a 2010 was dyno'd with the stock CAI and an aftermarket CAI, the difference was something like 4hp.

I kept the factory intake and just did the tune, saving a couple hundred bucks.

Quick Reply: Question on K & N Air Filter