Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Plastic Trim Care + General Winter Care

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Flargimmer

Exclamation Exterior Plastic Trim Care + General Winter Care

Hey guys,

I'm just curious what ya'll use to keep the black exterior plastic looking sharp? My '11 already has some fading bits (I think) and a lot of annoying wax spots (I know, I know..). My poor baby is kept outside all the time so I'm having to take extra special care of her. Which brings me to my next question..

Unfortunately I don't have a garage to keep my ride in during the winter, or a beater to drive around while it's kept in storage. What are some general things I can do to protect my vehicle through the harshest months of the year? I live in Tennessee so our winter isn't terribly bad, but there are a few weekends where it swells up.

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

No garage for me here in SoCal. It's almost always sunny. The plastic trim has definitely faded quite a bit in the last couple years. Makes me wish Ford found a better way to do make the trim (like an actual painted piece or something similar). Water spots are also hard to remove from it. Hopefully when the next Mustang comes out there will be much less plastic on it.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:05 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Just actually ordered some stuff to help out with that myself. Go to autogeek.net and check out "Black WOW", looks to at least help out with bringing the dark black look back and helps repel the water spotting (god do i hate the water spots I see already in the plastic finishes)
Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From the ya'll I take it you're in the south so winter storage shouldn't be as much an ordeal for you as it was for me when I was in PA and Illinois.

For plastic that has laready begun to fade I'd try the Black WOW mentioned above. For protection I like how the synthetic waxes (which boast about using them on plastic) seem to protect. I've used Turtle Wax ICE on black plastic with good success (so far).
Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
From the ya'll I take it you're in the south so winter storage shouldn't be as much an ordeal for you as it was for me when I was in PA and Illinois.

For plastic that has laready begun to fade I'd try the Black WOW mentioned above. For protection I like how the synthetic waxes (which boast about using them on plastic) seem to protect. I've used Turtle Wax ICE on black plastic with good success (so far).
Same here.

I used it on an area for several weeks to see what it would do and the pieces continued to look amazing. Now I hit every exterior trim piece with it.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Get some 303
http://autogeek.net/303aerprot.html
It has SPF40 in it so it will help against fading in the sun. I use it on my car
Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I've had good luck with Mother's back to black!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 AM
ab
2nd Gear Member

I've used Mother's Back to Black for a while now. Always have had good results.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Yeah the black trim pieces are a pain to keep looking nice. I use Aerospace 303 that I got from a local Boat store.
I can't keep my car in our garage either, so I put a good quality car cover on it. Car covers will help keep the paint from fading as well as keep debris off your car. However you must wipe the car down each time you put the cover on. I use McGuires Detail spray and a Microfiber towel or sometimes I use my California Duster Extra precautions to insure a scratch free finish. It does make you smile when you take that cover off for a drive.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I use vinylex and it works well on the interior and exterior plastic.

"Black WOW" looks impressive....
http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-trim-restorer.html

Last edited by kevinmalec; 10-29-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Exterior Plastic Trim Care + General Winter Care