Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Boss 302 Mustang TracKey!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

well if you have all the answers, instead of asking a question, go patent the design

;-)
Old 11-12-2010, 06:00 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I would, but some bastard overseas will still steal my idea. Those bastards could care less about patents, copyrights and other legal marks. Their excuse is in their country, it is not illegal to do it. Or if they actually have laws that make it illegal, the government turns a blind eye to the practice.

Guys like that only steal other people's ideas without actually compensating the original owner of the patented idea. They clone all sorts of goods, only to make a sub-standard copy that fails, and people mistake the copy as the real thing and they forever blame the real thing instead of the illegal copier. This is one of the major downsides of globalization.

I have a bad opinion about today's globalization. Globalization is supposed to make the entire world a better place economically, and even in life quality. But the leech countries that insist on playing unfairly only hold everyone back and bring down the established countries that are actually trying to make it better for all countries.
Sorry, I'm ranting some more.

But back to the Boss ECU being able to store and switch between two tunes. It is such a very small and measly tiny step towards advancing car electronic technology along. With even the processing power of a cell phone CPU, a car ECU can do so much more, and only storing two tunes? Oh well, the car ECU technology has a long way to go, because you should be able to have well more than only two tunes in memory to choose from.

And using two keys , one for each tune? I say make it more convinient and simply make it push-button. Of course, you can use the MyKey function to lock out the option to push the button to use the performance tune. I say the Red TracKey should be the key that allos you to push the button and choose the 440 stock HP tune or the uploaded performance tune at the whim. The non-trackey is the one that only allows you to use the stock tune.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

got to admit, most the new radios, like the sync nav, probably have more processing power then the cars computer.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yes, that is so sad. And I have seen car radios that have been in car wrecks and put into another car and still work. They are pretty durable even though they are complex (touch screen, all sorts of cell phone and blue tooth, HD radio, integrated nav, etc.).

You know that car radio is probably laughing at the ECU!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

+ 1 to permanent spot on keyrack....
Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I would still carry the non-TracKey. I would use MyKey and hobble the **** out of what you can do with the car and give that to the valet. Or even to the techs at the dealership. You never know just what some fool bastard would do when he thinks he can get away with a joy ride.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:15 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

set the main tunes rev limiter at 2600 RPM and retard the timing so theres no power. ;-)
Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I would still carry the non-TracKey. I would use MyKey and hobble the **** out of what you can do with the car and give that to the valet. Or even to the techs at the dealership. You never know just what some fool bastard would do when he thinks he can get away with a joy ride.
Its easy for the stealership to get around your MyKey for 'testing' purposes.
Nice try but no cigar...

Last edited by 157dB; 11-13-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Its easy for the stealership to get around your MyKey for 'testing' purposes.
Nice try but no cigar...
Then I would do this: I would delete the stock 440HP tune and custom order a "Valet" tune that purposefully limits the RPM to 2500 and kills the **** out of the power and torque (retard the cams way back, reduce fuel flow, limits max throttle, etc.).
I would then specifically force the tech to write in the special instructions NOT to reflash the tune so the gimped valet tune stays in.

I don't know how true this story is, but I remember a horror story where a guy with a GT40 brought his car to the dealer to have some work done. The techs took it for a joyride and damaged his car in the process.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

hmm, I didnt know there were echos on the internet.

Quick Reply: 2012 Boss 302 Mustang TracKey!