Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO YOU HAVE A '11 5.0 AT WITH TUNE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Default DO YOU HAVE A '11 5.0 AT WITH TUNE?

If so, I'd be grateful for your answering a couple of questions. I've asked these on some other threads and haven't got the info I need.

I find the stock AT setup to be pretty lifeless. You don't get a downshift or any real power unless you floor it.

1) Do you get useful part-throttle downshifts? Sometimes you just want to add a little throttle and grab a lower gear.

2) Does the tranny hold gears longer before upshifting?

3) I plan on adding a CAI and tune, and an axle back exhaust. Do you feel the additional power from these will hurt tranny durability? I feel if the tranny fails the dealer will say it's due to the mods and won't warranty it.

Any input on these questions will be greatly appreciated. Any replies telling me to shut up and get a stick will not
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
If so, I'd be grateful for your answering a couple of questions. I've asked these on some other threads and haven't got the info I need.

I find the stock AT setup to be pretty lifeless. You don't get a downshift or any real power unless you floor it.

1) Do you get useful part-throttle downshifts? Sometimes you just want to add a little throttle and grab a lower gear.

2) Does the tranny hold gears longer before upshifting?

3) I plan on adding a CAI and tune, and an axle back exhaust. Do you feel the additional power from these will hurt tranny durability? I feel if the tranny fails the dealer will say it's due to the mods and won't warranty it.

Any input on these questions will be greatly appreciated. Any replies telling me to shut up and get a stick will not
I know my opinion is a little bit biased, but here's my honest opinion from driving our 11 auto project car from the day we got it from the dealer until now.

1.) It absolutely wakes up downshifts. In the automatic, the entire up and downshift schedule is changed so that the power is always going to be instantaneous when you press the pedal. The throttle sensitivity is also leaps & bounds better than stock, so manual car will also get that neck-snapping downshift as well.

2.) Depending whether you use our Street, Performance or Race tunes, the car will hold in gear longer. It wont short-shift up into high gear like it does from the factory. The powerband feels a lot better this way.

3.) The difference with a cold air intake is going to help out quite a bit. There's a huge debate about whether a CAI is actually worth it on 2010 and 2011 vehicles because they were improved. We have some results coming in the next week or two (on top of the results we've already published) that show a cold air intake is a great modification, and only gets more important as you stack other modifications that require more air on top of it. As for transmission longevity, you should have no problems whatsoever. The 6r80 automatic transmission is rated to 800 ft. lbs. of torque. Also, they've been around in the F150 for a few years now, so we've had the chance to really play with them and have customers that have high mileage without issues on that transmission now.

I hope this helps you out a little bit. If you ever need to chat with an expert, you can actually call Bama directly and speak to the guys who will calibrate your car. This is hard to do with other companies. They're here Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
I know my opinion is a little bit biased, but here's my honest opinion from driving our 11 auto project car from the day we got it from the dealer until now.

1.) It absolutely wakes up downshifts. In the automatic, the entire up and downshift schedule is changed so that the power is always going to be instantaneous when you press the pedal. The throttle sensitivity is also leaps & bounds better than stock, so manual car will also get that neck-snapping downshift as well.

2.) Depending whether you use our Street, Performance or Race tunes, the car will hold in gear longer. It wont short-shift up into high gear like it does from the factory. The powerband feels a lot better this way.

3.) The difference with a cold air intake is going to help out quite a bit. There's a huge debate about whether a CAI is actually worth it on 2010 and 2011 vehicles because they were improved. We have some results coming in the next week or two (on top of the results we've already published) that show a cold air intake is a great modification, and only gets more important as you stack other modifications that require more air on top of it. As for transmission longevity, you should have no problems whatsoever. The 6r80 automatic transmission is rated to 800 ft. lbs. of torque. Also, they've been around in the F150 for a few years now, so we've had the chance to really play with them and have customers that have high mileage without issues on that transmission now.

I hope this helps you out a little bit. If you ever need to chat with an expert, you can actually call Bama directly and speak to the guys who will calibrate your car. This is hard to do with other companies. They're here Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764!
Thanks, Chris, for taking the time to reply. I see why you're held in such high regard around here.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I try! Where in Florida?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 PM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

I try! Where in Florida?
Ft. Lauderdale
Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Nice! My fiance is from Margate/North Lauderdale, so I get down that way alot.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Nice! My fiance is from Margate/North Lauderdale, so I get down that way alot.
Give a heads up when you get down here. BTW I'm a Penn State kid, '68-'70.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
Give a heads up when you get down here. BTW I'm a Penn State kid, '68-'70.
Nice! We all can't believe Joe Pa is still kickin! LOL
Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Nice! We all can't believe Joe Pa is still kickin! LOL
AND still winning football games!1
Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 PM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
AND still winning football games!1
400 to be exact. Go Lions. BTW, where the heck is Lithia?

Quick Reply: DO YOU HAVE A '11 5.0 AT WITH TUNE?