Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP BEFORE I END UP AT THE DEALER

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Wow, that sucks, having issues with your new car. Is it possible a rock or something got kicked up into the linkage and is binding it?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
Wow, that sucks, having issues with your new car. Is it possible a rock or something got kicked up into the linkage and is binding it?
No, just dropped it off at the dealer and they think its either the hydrolic pump or the rack. I dont care which it is cause the car is under warranty, its just the point its happening to my car with 7000 MILES!!! Hopefully I'll hear some good news tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a problem with the rack.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
Sounds like a problem with the rack.
We ALL have problems with racks. Problem is, we just can't keep our eyes (and hands) off of 'em...
Old 11-16-2010, 03:24 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
No, just dropped it off at the dealer and they think its either the hydrolic pump or the rack. I dont care which it is cause the car is under warranty, its just the point its happening to my car with 7000 MILES!!! Hopefully I'll hear some good news tomorrow.
Good luck getting it fixed to your satisfaction.

I only have about 3K on mine. No problems so far (knock on wood). I've only had it back to the dealer once, the low tire pressure light kept coming on...because I had a nail in the tire. They fixed the tire and balanced it right proper and checked everything over for me. I was happy with the service. I can't remember the last time I said that about dealer service but then I've always had a GM product.

I'm due for my free oil change next month (6 months). Hopefully it'll go well too.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
...its just the point its happening to my car with 7000 MILES!!!...
Have you ever heard the term "Infant Mortality" with respect to mass-produced items? Chit happens. We just don't want it to happen to US.

This is the abstract from an IEEE paper (the paper is a great sleep aid):
"Product factory test is inadequate to identify 100% of the products that will fail within one year of use before shipment. Product infant mortality failures that would occur after delivery are eliminated by using prognostic analysis for illustrating and identifying deterministic behavior (failure precursors) in all products that will fail in the near future."

Last edited by Nuke; 11-16-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Well even though it sucks I got some good news today. They have to replace the rack, but they are hoping I will have it by tomorrow night. This is not the dealer I purchased the car from but they definately have better service!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:39 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Have you ever heard the term "Infant Mortality" with respect to mass-produced items? Chit happens. We just don't want it to happen to US.
+1

It's always my luck that I go buy something from a store and it's DOA or has a problem with it.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 PM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

Happy you found a dealership that sounds promising...the good ones are hard to find. The diagnosis of the rack causing a stiff steering concern in one direction sounds correct. The power steering pump merely creates pressure and has no idea, nor cares if your turning right or left.
One important issue is to be sure that the dealership resets the toe angle or toe alignment. This will get disturbed when the rack is replaced: no other alignment angle(s) will be affected.
If not set correctly, it could lead to directional instability, pull or drift left or right, off-center steering wheel or most importantly irregular tire wear.
Tell your service advisor that you are a tedious record keeper and that you'd like a copy of the alignment printout. They should be happy to give you one.
Good Luck
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nicksfoursix
Happy you found a dealership that sounds promising...the good ones are hard to find. The diagnosis of the rack causing a stiff steering concern in one direction sounds correct. The power steering pump merely creates pressure and has no idea, nor cares if your turning right or left.
One important issue is to be sure that the dealership resets the toe angle or toe alignment. This will get disturbed when the rack is replaced: no other alignment angle(s) will be affected.
If not set correctly, it could lead to directional instability, pull or drift left or right, off-center steering wheel or most importantly irregular tire wear.
Tell your service advisor that you are a tedious record keeper and that you'd like a copy of the alignment printout. They should be happy to give you one.
Good Luck
Thanks for the info, will do.

Quick Reply: HELP BEFORE I END UP AT THE DEALER