Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you siphon oil from dipstick tube?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 AM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

I've been siphoning oil for years on our cars. metal shavings? none. We send our oil out to Blackstone for analysis and all #'s are good.

We've drained the oil normally and compared pickup and it's the same within a very, very small amount. This is great on BMW's where the filters are on top so you don't have to get under the car anyways.

But, for a mustang, with the filter down below, you have to get under there anyways so you aren't saving that much time to siphon.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:00 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I used to have a POS thing I bought to change the oil that way on my boat, but it sucked and never got the oil TOTALLY out of the pan. Best bet is to just get under there and play it safe that you go it all out of their and dont over fill cause some of the old oil was still left.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 AM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

My mom's ML350 (Benz) can ONLY be changed this way without seriously dismantling portions of the undercarriage. And this is not like just a simple cover or something. It just isn't designed to be done from underneath. Rubs me the wrong way mentally, but you get used to it. We just bought a thing that looks like a tank sprayer for weeds in the yard but works in reverse. In ohter words, when you pump the handle it builds suction instead of pressurizing the tank. Has come inhandy for things like tranny fluid too :-)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CincyGT2009
We just bought a thing that looks like a tank sprayer for weeds in the yard but works in reverse.
Got a link? My mom's Kia SUV has a replaceable filter element up top and I would love to be able to change her oil without having to remove the undercarriage shroud from underneath. The one I listed above is fine, but I like the idea of something that doesn't run off the battery.

Thanks,
Don
Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

My mom's ML350 (Benz) can ONLY be changed this way without seriously dismantling portions of the undercarriage. And this is not like just a simple cover or something. It just isn't designed to be done from underneath. Rubs me the wrong way mentally, . . .
It should.

You know that once the tube starts sucking air that you've stopped sucking oil. You don't know how much oil is left in the sump because you don't know how far off the bottom of the pan that the top of the tube's opening is/was.

OP - I wouldn't worry if the oil level is only a little bit above. About how much, in fraction of an inch, on the stick?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
It should.

You know that once the tube starts sucking air that you've stopped sucking oil. You don't know how much oil is left in the sump because you don't know how far off the bottom of the pan that the top of the tube's opening is/was.

OP - I wouldn't worry if the oil level is only a little bit above. About how much, in fraction of an inch, on the stick?

Norm
I didn't measure the overage--maybe 1/4" or so. I thought it would just be a case of putting the tubing down the dipstick tube, squeezing the bulb a few times, and that's it. Not the case!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I didn't measure the overage--maybe 1/4" or so. I thought it would just be a case of putting the tubing down the dipstick tube, squeezing the bulb a few times, and that's it. Not the case!
I wouldn't worry about it. You'd have to overfill it WAY more than that to have it make a difference IMO...
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 AM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

BigDinTexas:
I believe the exact model we use is the MV7400 Fluid Evacuator. Here is their website:
http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp
Old 11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

BigDinTexas:
I believe the exact model we use is the MV7400 Fluid Evacuator. Here is their website:
http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp
CincyGT, do you use this with synthetics? Reading the reviews on Amazon, it appears the majority of complaints are a result of people using this with synthetics.

Thanks for the info.

Don
Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

Yes. We run ONLY Mobil 1 Fully-Synthetic oils in our cars. Never had a problem...

Quick Reply: Can you siphon oil from dipstick tube?