Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unless it's a Ford dealership, any other shop shouldn't be touching your PCM.

Usually when a dealer does a reflash, it changes the strategy code on the PCM. Unless you're using garbage canned tunes, a custom tune is written specifically for a given strategy code. It's a real PITA to get it straightened out.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom tune

I was also wondering if the 87 tune would improve gas mileage. Buy the way, I don't have any mods or plannning to get any. Never plan on going to the track. Just want a little extra power. And better throtttle response.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
I was also wondering if the 87 tune would improve gas mileage. Buy the way, I don't have any mods or plannning to get any. Never plan on going to the track. Just want a little extra power. And better throtttle response.
Tunes are typically for performance so improving fuel mileage isn't part of the equation. An 87 custom tune will provide better performance over stock and, if you can keep your foot out of it (which I dare you to), you MAY get equivalent fuel mileage to the stock tune. You CAN get an economy tune but considering you spent over $30k for a performance car, that seems a bit stupid. Actually, it's extremely stupid.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You CAN get an economy tune but considering you spent over $30k for a performance car, that seems a bit stupid. Actually, it's extremely stupid.
+1,000,000.

Gotta agree wholeheartedly here. You want something to wake your car up, go 91 Race from Bama.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom tune

It seems like the handheld of choice on the forums is a sct. Which company is better, Brenspeed or AM?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Unless you wet your panties right thru to your skirt most dealers won't care.
hate that when that happens ....

The closest I came on several occasions where my car was in for warranty work was "Sweet intake".
Good dealer, hopefully my '11 will be as trouble free as our '02, in 8 1/2 years the only thing warranty related was a 50 cent o-ring in a freon line, the most flawless car my wife and I ever owned.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Slug Catcher
1st Gear Member

If you guys are worried about the dealer reflashing your PCM,

Get one of these.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...OU%3AUS%3A1123

It may not stop them if they really want to do it, but at least you would have a really good reason to chew some **** about it....

P.S. http://www.tunableinduction.com/ <--Tunable Induction FTMFW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Slug Catcher; 11-28-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:19 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I think that it's hard to say who's a better tuner than who. 50% of people are going to love us and 50% of people are going to love them. It's more a matter of personal preference. Go with the company that makes you feel comfortable. Go with the company that has great customer service, good quality tunes and can answer your questions or fix any problems that arise after the sale.

With all that being said, do I think that AM/Bama offers the best tunes available? Heck yes. That's because I know the detail that goes into every single tune file that we let out of here. There's so much R&D and blood, sweat and tears in making sure that our values are spot-on. We have a dyno on-site, and spend MONTHS on it with each vehicle is perfect before we release anything. We go farther than most companies. We don't tune 1 vehicle on a dyno, and assume that we can now mail-order tune. We go street testing for weeks. We make sure the car drives in every condition, rain or shine, urban or rural - you name it. We've been to the track probably 30 times with our 2011 GT. We didn't release our Race tune until we'd been to the track with it nearly 10 times.

We're constantly testing our work. We have over 165,000 square foot of shear product-space that we randomly pull hundreds of products from to QA test. We install these products on over 10 company vehicles of every generation/motor and make sure that our tuning is precise and accurate. We have over 140 on staff with tons of Mustangs to test independently and get opinions from as well.

Best of all, if you have any questions - you don't have to go through a middle man. Call the Bama tuning team directly Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764. They'll pull up your tune file with you on the phone if you have questions, they can update within a few minutes and email instantly.

And as always, if you purchase into our free tunes for life programmer (purchase a programmer or a (3) tune pack) you'll get free adjustments for however long you own that vehicle, no matter where you purchase your modifications!