Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update to my HID fog install w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Default Update to my HID fog install w/ pics

Well I got my Digital slim HId kit from retro solutions in today. I have to say right off that the kit seemes to be of very high quality. The slim ballasts feel sturdy and very shock resistant. The ballasts fit awesome on the side of the radiator mounted to the post with the supplied mounting brackets. The only problem I had was the polarity was reversed. If I plugged in the OEM light socket to the ballast so they clicked and locked together the + and - poles were opposite the way they should be. I flipped the socket around and they worked perfect but they dont lock together. Anyone know if this is normal or should I call Retro for a replacement? Anyway I have them installed and I taped the connections with electrical tape for now, if that is the way they are supposed to be I will cut the OEM wires and flip the polarity. Here are some pics of them installed. They are the 5000K with the capped bulbs.

UPDATE: I called retro-solutions and as it turns out I didnt read the instructions correctly for the install. The set comes with wires and clips that are used to flip the polarity. I called the company and they got me set up. I would recommend this set and company to anyone looking for a quality HID kit.

OEM HID headlights. Sorry for the bad pic but the iPhone doesnt do moving pics very well.

OEM headlights with the HID's

Last edited by NOLA26; 12-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Oh wow, on first glance it reeaaally looks nice! But what is the glare like for fellow motorists? Do you have cutoffs? Or do you have those special HID headlight housings? Just wondering, cause sometimes I see cars with retro-fit HID's and they have some serious glare.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yeah I tend to **** other drivers off, but others love the way they look. I can see how it would get annoying to other drivers though.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

My headlights are OEM. I paid for the bulb capping service. I looked directly into the fog beam and I wasn't blinded. The glare is probably because I took the pics with my iPhone. I have to say the HID fogs make a huge difference in visability.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Yeah I tend to **** other drivers off, but others love the way they look. I can see how it would get annoying to other drivers though.
Nice rims, if I may say so! Haven't seen them before, but then again im not familiar with the newer model stangs. Were they stock, or did they come with a package?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Nice rims, if I may say so! Haven't seen them before, but then again im not familiar with the newer model stangs. Were they stock, or did they come with a package?
Thanks! and they are the premium 19" rims from ford but I kind of like them too. I am in the market for new rims so I might just but the american muscle ones in black.

!!!Dont mean to thread jack!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOLA26
My headlights are OEM. I paid for the bulb capping service. I looked directly into the fog beam and I wasn't blinded. The glare is probably because I took the pics with my iPhone. I have to say the HID fogs make a huge difference in visability.
Yeah cameras tend to take ****ty pictures of the hids probably because of the brightness. And yeah the fogs help alottt!! They are like a second set of headlights, I mean they are big enough lol.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 PM
dipsetwarrior
1st Gear Member

Nice check mine out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4WSxF-Ylv4
Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Yeah cameras tend to take ****ty pictures of the hids probably because of the brightness. And yeah the fogs help alottt!! They are like a second set of headlights, I mean they are big enough lol.
I think the fogs are way brighter than the OEM HID headlights. And I got the 35w kit. Can't imagine what the 55w looks like.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOLA26
Can't imagine what the 55w looks like.
I can only imagine!

Quick Reply: Update to my HID fog install w/ pics