Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car cover suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
OP, will the car sit inside or outside while your gone? My last deployment was 15 months and I kept my 66 in a garage under a Cover King cover. Good quality and fit and a pretty good price for the light duty indoor version. They have outdoor versions too, so I would check them out.
The car will be parked in a car-port. It will be driven once a month, but I'm just looking for something rather than nothing. Has anyone purchased Brenspeed's All Weather Car Cover?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even a rain resitant/tight cover will allow condensation. If at all possible, a garage is best. The car doesn't need to be driven for at least 6 months provided the oil is relatively fresh, you have Sta-Bil in the fuel system and a few other minor precautions. And starting it just to warm it up every so often is worse than letting it sit for a year.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Unfortunately, a garage is not an option. Guess I'll have to take my chances. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Is it possible to take some of that deployment money and rent a storage shed? Not sure what you have around your base, but there are also places that will store your care indoors in a large warehouse. My buddy looked into those cuz he did not have a garage.

Neither option would be too expensive, and the peace of mind it would offer would be worth it to me. Especially if you are leaving it in a govt. storage lot. Those people treat your car like poo and most of the time their facilities are not very secure.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
Is it possible to take some of that deployment money and rent a storage shed? Not sure what you have around your base, but there are also places that will store your care indoors in a large warehouse. My buddy looked into those cuz he did not have a garage.

Neither option would be too expensive, and the peace of mind it would offer would be worth it to me. Especially if you are leaving it in a govt. storage lot. Those people treat your car like poo and most of the time their facilities are not very secure.
I own a house, it just doesn't have a garage. I think I'll purchase a cover from Brenspeed (today at 5:01pm) and just put it on. It will not be completely covered the whole time, just when my father takes it out for a spin. Appreciate the advise!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I would not bother with a cover, save your money
Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have to say, by not having a car cover on, you WILL most likely get;

* Acid Rain etchings left on the paint
* Dried Bird Droppings
* Dirt
* Debris
* Scratches left from irresponsible passer-byers
* Faded paint from the hot baking sun
* Faded interior from the sun
* Cracked Dash boards from the heat

I have used car covers for over 25 years, it has kept my cars looking brand new. As I have stated before, my stang has to sit outside due to my garage being packed. I couldn't just leave my car sitting with no protection. I have a cat as well as my neighbors who like to sleep on the hood. It protects your car from the leaves that fall and clog the cowl area. Remember all the horror stories about leaks? NO leaks here!
I do not regret one minute for having the car cover. It puts a smile on my face every time I pull it back and see it looking mean and clean!

Last edited by 07 Stang; 11-25-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:28 AM
southernmustangparts
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
What would you suggest for someone who will be taking it on and off daily, will be using it in moderate rain/snow/ice, and will probably not be keeping it on the car for more then a day or 2 at a time?
I would go with the Silverguard Plus if the weather is moderate and you are going to take it off and on a lot.

It provides great protection but is a little easier to manuever than the Stormproof which is the one I would go with if your are covering for long periods of time.

Mustang Car Covers

Ken