Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown or cams

Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Tpjb57

Default blown or cams

I think I have seen this discussion before. I have had plenty of go fast cars in my life. built to sound great or run fast. I wan to do some mods to the stang and its either cams, headers, hi flow cats, tuner or spend the money on a blower. was thinking that nobody would know I had a blower unless I passed them going a hundred mph. of course a set of cams would always sound cool. I have no need to run at 140mph but might consider road racing. what ya'll think. I ride a 2003 Harley Deuce and its not fast but It has the sound and cool factor.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

It all comes down to personal preferences. I am going cams/LT's because I want the old muscle car sound and that will give me a little performance also.

Ford has some ported heads, with frpp cams, and high flow intake that can over 400hp at the flywheel.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

since you don't need the blower, go with a nice set of cams. detroit rockers, hot rods
or BBR stage 1's.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Blower!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Taking money out of the equation, I totally understand your dilemma. And the Harley is a good example. I have a 2002 lowrider that I have built up. 95" 120hp/120tq. For a 95" Harley, those aren't bad numbers. Part of that performance gain is due to Supertrapp 2 into 1 pipes. Love the punch I get from them but I really miss the Vance & Hines sounds. Wife hates the Supertrapp sound even more than I do. I'll probably put the V&H back on.

For the mustang, price is an issue for me so the decision is easier. Cams will be my next mod.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:38 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by outceltj
unfortunately with this set up ur rpms to horse power is about 6500 rpms for the 400 hp. So really if ur not racing when will u ever hit 6500 rpms. not to mention magazines have some tricks up there sleeve such as making the car lighter as im sure they do not mention that. So those numbers are a bit manipulated without telling the public how they actually got the 400 hp
True, which is why I would be curious to see what kind of numbers it would put out on the curve, I dont remember seeing a dyno sheet in the article I read.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
It all comes down to personal preferences. I am going cams/LT's because I want the old muscle car sound and that will give me a little performance also.

Ford has some ported heads, with frpp cams, and high flow intake that can over 400hp at the flywheel.
unfortunately with this set up ur rpms to horse power is about 6500 rpms for the 400 hp. So really if ur not racing when will u ever hit 6500 rpms. not to mention magazines have some tricks up there sleeve such as making the car lighter as im sure they do not mention that. So those numbers are a bit manipulated without telling the public how they actually got the 400 hp
Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

to answer the op i would do both but if i had to choose probably cams as that was the order i went. cams then im getting blown tomorrow
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

Aside from the fact that you will make MUCH more power with a blower. You will also keep your drivability where you will loose a bit going with a cam (obviously gets worse the more agressive cam you go with)

Add a roots style SC and keep your foot out of it, your not loosing any drivability and very little fuel economy.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Blower !!! it has an awesome cool factor !!! if you get a Vortech people will hear that sucker whistling ! or if you get whipple or similar you get a sweet whine very early in the rpm range and oh yeah ....lets not forget the wow factor of POWER !!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blown or cams