Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
X07TorchStangX

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1

You don't do your own tuning with the exception of being able to tweak a few settings. The majority of the parameters that truely affect performance are not user adjustable. That's where a quality shop writing your tunes comes into play. Brenspeed and AM are 2 of the best. Al lyou need to do is plug n' play.
Ya thats something I wouldn't do myself either not that I'm not familar with it its just I would feel more comforable letting a tech take care of it. And thats something that I find really great from AM is that they will custom write the file for your car and all you have to do is plug and play like you mentioned which is defiantly worth buying the tuner.

But ya unfortunately the guy didn't know that it needed a tune before it left the shop which I had thought he did from the start but apparently not which didn't help me in the lease I was surprised too that they didn't have any on hand not just for my car but for any.

On the lighter side of the things I had a talk with the shop about all of this and it turns out the guy who owns the shop happens to know a guy who specializes in just something like this and is going to have a talk with him if he is able to work on my car (which I don't see what the problem could be) but the good part is supposedly he writes the tunes himself and is very good so if all checks out I'll bring the stang back to the shop let the guy tune and it will be better then before and it will all be reinstalled for nothing so I can't complain about that either.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:52 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Okay but if things go awry don't say we didn't warn you about taking it back to the same shop.

Everyone "knows" someone who is the best.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by X07TorchStangX
Hey everyone, so here is the problem the other day I had took my mustang to a tune shop to get the cold air intake installed along with a new exhaust system. I recently purchased the mustang so I couldn't wait to start modding. Well the exhaust system installed fine however when the cold air intake was installed it was causing problems with my MAF throwing the air ratio off in the engine and miss firing the cylinders, basically stalling the stang. I was surprised the cold air intake would cause such a problem although it makes sense how the problem occurred. I was wondering if anyone had faced the same problem or if they had heard of such a thing to occur and how they went about fixing it. I'm thinking about taking it to a speed shop to have it tuned for the cold air intake and/or have the computer relearned for it. Thanks for any help guys

(also if it matters the cold air intake was a ford racing kit for the stang the shop I took it too said it fit perfectly)
You are in California? You will need to return to a stock intake and tune for your next smog check. The only way around that would have been to buy the more expensive FRPP kit which includes the tuner and their CARB approved tune. Without that you won't have an exemption sticker and your CAI will fail the visual test.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:02 PM
X07TorchStangX

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Okay but if things go awry don't say we didn't warn you about taking it back to the same shop.

Everyone "knows" someone who is the best.
No everyone is right and makes good points so I defiantly agree thats what I mean when I say I want to check everything out if something sounds fishy then its not going to happen and its going to wait until I can find someone better I rather it get down right instead of fast.

As for the smog check ya that is something I have been concerned about which doesn't help my choice either and it gives me another reason to push it back at least to after the check and then install it so I'll see how it goes otherwise I will get around it that way

Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I guess I don't understand. SCREW the shop. Buy a tuner with custom tunes from AM or Brenspeed. You already have the CAI. The install is so easy even a one armed, blind caveman with A.D.D. can do it.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You already have the CAI. The install is so easy even a one armed, blind caveman with A.D.D. can do it.
LMAO!

Yes, do yourself a favor and just get the tune. CAI/Tune is one of the beginner mods to add a kick to the car. It's worth the price tag.