Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny needs rebuilt... for the 5th time

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Angry Tranny needs rebuilt... for the 5th time

Forgive me for the soap box, but I just need to vent. Today I went to leave for work and when I hopped in the car, threw it in reverse (manual) and the transmission bound up and stalled the engine. This is not the first time this has happened. Only two thousand miles ago the transmission was rebuilt because somehow both 5th and reverse managed to engage the input gear simultaneously. Prior to that 5th gear decided it hated life and decided to fall apart in the most literal fashion possible. And twice before it was in for the cold grind TSB.

I contacted Ford about this the last time and they refused to replace the transmission and only rebuilt it. This time I've decided to get a bit more aggressive and contacted Ford again, but I've also began searching for lawyers with the intent to begin lemon law proceedings. I don't believe I've ever seen anything systemically wrong with these transmissions, but damn, with the amount of money Ford has thrown at this one it would've been so much easier for them to just put in a damn new one two repairs ago.

/rant
Old 12-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Cold grind TSB?
link to it?

I've never heard of this.
Also... If I were you I'd take it to another damn dealership this time to get it fixed.
Maybe they will give a crap and actually replace it.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nothing wrong with a good old fashioned rant, hopefully ford will take
care of you.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

The TSB is located here: https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...-3RD-GEAR.html

The funny thing is this is the 3rd dealership I've taken it to... Either I really suck at choosing dealerships with decent mechanics or there's just something horribly wrong with this thing. I have a feeling it's the latter.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I hope for the best for you too.

Seems like the dealership techs are not being forward thinking here. Replacing the entire trany with a brand new one is so much less work than pulling out the bum one, opening it up, and tinkering with the innards.

The dealership techs could have saved both you and themselves so much heartache by doing a complete swap.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

Don't let them push you around! They are counting on you to back down. Good luck it sounds like you got the right approach this time
Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
The dealership techs could have saved both you and themselves so much heartache by doing a complete swap.
True, but I think this sword´s edge is from both sides. As in they´d have to justify the complete replacement, citing something systemic I´d think in order to be reimbursed. If it´s in a TSB they HAVE to do it this way.

Anything with a decent level of bureaucracy rarely goes by what makes the most sense in the long run, only what looks good on paper.

I´m having that particular TSB service done to mine in a couple weeks. Finally got sick of the 3rd gear grind in the cold.

Last edited by wayne613; 12-10-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

When my engine blew the dealership told me it would be cheaper for both sides to replace it rather than spending time taking it apart, diagnosing it, and rebuilding it. Though I chose to rebuild it myself, I believe they were probably correct.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Whoa, I finally just say the title 5TH REBUILD! And this is a TR3650, not the damn chinese Getrag MT82!

I say check your state's lemon laws, don't get a lawyer, go to your state's DMV website or state Hwy Department website and read up on your lemon laws. 5 times might already be well above and beyond lemon law, especially for a critical drive train component.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Whoa, I finally just say the title 5TH REBUILD! And this is a TR3650, not the damn chinese Getrag MT82!

I say check your state's lemon laws, don't get a lawyer, go to your state's DMV website or state Hwy Department website and read up on your lemon laws. 5 times might already be well above and beyond lemon law, especially for a critical drive train component.
I actually just finished plowing through the statute for North Carolina... It appears I'm limited to only the first 24,000 miles, which was long since passed before it would've become repair eligible. At this point it looks like I need to just revert to being a huge thorn in their side until I get a new transmission. I'm currently at 52,000 so I'd like near 25,000 to make sure the new one is solid before my premium care warranty ends. Even more aggravating is the fact that upstairs I have a shiny Paxton HO waiting to go on this damn car, and I certainly can't do that until the drivetrain is solid.

Last edited by PSUSkier; 12-11-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Tranny needs rebuilt... for the 5th time