Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:57 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I´d like to take mine to the track to see what I could do in this regard, but since this isn´t like my weekend car I´d probably panziefy it up as I´m fairly nuts with my car, but even if I was good enough for that, or my car was setup to do it, I´d just be too afraid of f´ing it up. I assume unless you have slicks your likely to be jumping more than sliding, possibly causing some serious axle damage amongst other things at the least.

Gotta figure there´s probably some serious alignment issues, bearing stress and such, even past the obvious of losing a set of tires at the minimum. Not counting f´ups where they´re driving through the grass the first few attempts.

Maybe someone would loan me their´s? Pretty please? With sugar on top? No? Bastids!

Last edited by wayne613; 12-24-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Mellow
No I couldn't do that, I got to have a motor, that looks like way to much work.
People have been drifting for a very long time and just not calling it drifting. Pikes peak has got to be one of the original drifting places. 88 years now they have been drifting up pikes peak, they just never called it that. Pikes peak drifting looks very very hard, I don't think I would even try that. "Drifting" on flat ground doesn't look hard at all.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Start with power sliding....then move on to drifting.. Power sliding is what a lot of drivers refer to as drifting....but it is one step short.....it uses the entire corner, not just the exit.

(following was copied from somewhere on line)

Enter the turn or curve at the normal rate of speed, allowing the car to hit the apex or the innermost part of its turn at a safe and predictable velocity.
Step on the throttle of the vehicle as the car passes the apex and the curve starts to straighten out. At the same time, turn the steering wheel into the same direction as the curve until you start to feel the wheels lose traction with the road.
Continue to step on the gas as the vehicle starts to slide laterally out of the curve, making sure to keep the nose of the car aimed at the straight portion of the road ahead.
Take your foot off the throttle once you have the nose of the car pointed in the right direction. Wait until the car regains traction on the road surface before reapplying the throttle. Note that failure to remove your foot from the gas pedal, at exactly the right moment, will cause the car to spin out of control.
Reapply the gas once your car is facing the right direction and the tires have regained traction. Continue to the straightaway from that point.
Continue to practice the powerslide technique if you are having a problem with the car spinning inward or oversteering. Use an empty parking lot, and alternate between steering the car into a curve with the gas pedal depressed and taking your foot off the accelerator while letting the car regain traction. Every car is different, so you will need to learn at what specific point your car will lose traction.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it's a LOT of split second timing and attention to the tiniest detail and feel of the car. Sitting in the car and watching my buddy go from gear-shift to brake to gas to e-brake- to WOT all while caressing the wheel like a lover... it's like a finely-tuned, well-rehearse love-making session between man and machine.

While, on the other hand, simply sliding a car around in the street is more like a painful date-rape with a bad hangover. LOL
Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
Yeah, it's a LOT of split second timing and attention to the tiniest detail and feel of the car. Sitting in the car and watching my buddy go from gear-shift to brake to gas to e-brake- to WOT all while caressing the wheel like a lover... it's like a finely-tuned, well-rehearse love-making session between man and machine.
I´d still bet money more than a few here could probably do decent drifting with a bit of practice, pony-fanatics as most are in here are likely to have a good feel of their car. I´ve practically lived in my cars since 16, I´m almost not in my own house as much.
Not to some of the insane levels of control with some of the vids and such I´ve seen, but still.
I´d think the more limiting factors would be the cost, before, during, and after. As I wouldn´t trust my rear from jumping, my engine at that level of RPM´s for that long, and on and on.. assuming I could get it right and hold it to begin with.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I can't afford the tires. So, I'll raise my hand as a quitter before I even start.

To be honest, though, I've always thought the same thing about those of you who head to the drag strip every weekend. Buying a nice new stang, then trying everything you can to beat it to death is a hobby I can't afford. LOL
Old 12-25-2010, 03:05 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
To be honest, though, I've always thought the same thing about those of you who head to the drag strip every weekend. Buying a nice new stang, then trying everything you can to beat it to death is a hobby I can't afford. LOL
I beat the snot out of mine in comparison to most I´d wager, but that´s taking it to a much higher beat-down level. If I get around some time to getting to the track when they´ll let you for a fee, then sign the 500 pages worth of documents to wave their liability, I´d go for it. But I´d only do it once in a blue moon. I wanna keep this car running, not in the shop emptying my bank account.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 AM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
Drifting isn't hard, I used to do it when I lived up north in the snow or in the summer on gravel roads, it's just a matter of keeping the car on the balance of recovery or spinning out, not hard at all. All the drifters do now is put in some tire smoke. I wouldn't want all that rubber glued to the wheel wells. As far as speed goes, drifting fast or slow it's still just a balancing act. There's a commercial out now that shows a Challenger drifting at about 1 mph, and it is a balancing act even at that speed.
A lot of people seem to like watching drifting just as people like to watch someone do a burn out until his tires pop, I don't get either one. But, that's just me. Anyone want to send me the price of a pair of 275-35-18 555s I would be happy to film the removal of some rubber. I would even hook up a white smoke bomb in the back just for effect.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Love
If I was a Troll, I would now say that you for bringing this back up front.
Oh yea, Power sliding with all 4 wheels is not drifting, power sliding the back wheels (like at pikes peak) is drifting, Much like Garage sales are like Picking. Picking and Drifting are relatively new TV language. Garage sales and power sliding has been around for a very long time.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
Love
Oh yea, Power sliding with all 4 wheels is not drifting, power sliding the back wheels (like at pikes peak) is drifting, Much like Garage sales are like Picking. Picking and Drifting are relatively new TV language. Garage sales and power sliding has been around for a very long time.
While it´s been around, the popularity of it as more of a mass thing has coined the term.

There´s still a huge difference between a) lunging into a turn, power-sliding through it, then spinning a bit out and through it to return straight then to b) throwing your car into it on asphalt and holding it with perfect control for extended periods.
The former I think just about any who have done even some of the more basic mods to their mustang for more power have probably done more than a few times. The later would take far more to accomplish.

Quick Reply: Drifting