Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsor in a 'stang

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 PM
winslow33

Default Windsor in a 'stang

OK, I have a 2005 Mustang with a blown engine.
I also know there's probably going to be people saying its more money and hassle than its worth, but money's not an objective, and it's not my first swap. Put a Ford 302 into an '89 Mazda pickup once
As far as my new engine is concerned, do you guys think I could get a 302 or 351 crate engine to bolt right up? I have no idea how the whole wiring thing is gonna work out, I've never dealt with any vehicle electronics newer than my'89 Mazda.
I am not planning to supercharge or turbocharge my engine. Naturally Aspirated engine= less **** to screw up, more reliability. I am going to add some heads and headers after I'm all done to get a little more HP from the engine.
I want to keep the transmission and driveline costs low. At least if i go with a T5, the chances of me shortening the drive-shaft are low, and i can spend more money on the rearend.
I figure if possible, i'd might as well go with the 351W. Why go small when you can go all out?
This ECU could get weird. If you could eliminate all of the motors electronic controls and get the rest of the car to run on the ECU it wouldn’t be hard though. Run the motor with a carb and MSD and it’s a self contained system that only needs 12v. But if you wanted to stay FI using the OEM sensors wouldn’t be real hard, Some would need to be tricked into reading a certain value, and some would just need special mounting points.
The bright side, all you US guys couldnt do it, a Windsor wouldnt pass emissions in an '05. I love Ontario

You might ask why I want to throw in so much money into such a project.. heres a hint:
The windsor's as practical as a 550rwhp blown 3v
Anybody attempted this?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:48 AM
winslow33

.......or not? Lol
Old 12-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Win
You got to realize that it's Christmas and everyone is with family until 4 or 5 pm.

Put a 5.4 in it. there is at least one guy here who has done it.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:15 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sounds like a nice project, good luck and take lots of pics for us.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:36 AM
winslow33

guess I'd might as well start off with my first picture then haha. Lil' Christmas present from my dad. Ford Racing 460 block. NOW sh*t gets serious lol.
Found a place that'll get me the motor mounts i need. Going to go with a carb so I wont have as much fighting with the Mustangs ECU. Only problems going to be about every warning light in the car's going to be on...
Does anyone know what flywheel i should go with? Will the stock mustang throttle cable be long enough?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You are going to have to get rid of the entire wiring harness for the engine functions and basically leave the ignition (where the key goes) and main power wiring for start up etc.

Also, the fuel system will have to be changed to a return style.

All of the O2 sensor and garbage like that will be gone. Even if you go FI, which I would not suggest. Very doable. I would suggest a K member that is lighter and stronger with some custom mounts on it. You can keep the stock 5 speed and get an adapter, but think you may benifit from getting a stronger trans depending on the power it makes.

With the 460, you can make 800-900 hp on the stock cast crank. That things has 3" journals and can hold a crap load of power.

What 460 is it? I saw FRPP heads on it.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:56 AM
winslow33

Originally Posted by Simon1
You are going to have to get rid of the entire wiring harness for the engine functions and basically leave the ignition (where the key goes) and main power wiring for start up etc.

Also, the fuel system will have to be changed to a return style.

All of the O2 sensor and garbage like that will be gone. Even if you go FI, which I would not suggest. Very doable. I would suggest a K member that is lighter and stronger with some custom mounts on it. You can keep the stock 5 speed and get an adapter, but think you may benifit from getting a stronger trans depending on the power it makes.

With the 460, you can make 800-900 hp on the stock cast crank. That things has 3" journals and can hold a crap load of power.

What 460 is it? I saw FRPP heads on it.
Will these wiring mods effect any stock mustang electronics like my ABS, traction control and that stuff? Sorry if i sound like a n00b but its the first time ive done MAJOR mods to anything newer than an '89 with no computer

the engine I'm going with is a FRPP crate engine it is not stock. It has GT-40x Aluminum heads, Roller rockers, E-303 cam and forged pistons

Going with a C6 auto tranny. would love a standard but its an automatic car right now, so im going to stick with that till its moving under its own power, do a standard swap later.

I have the rear end figured out, wich i have my reasons for keeping secret at this time so it doesnt get ripped off.

Suspension- i know this block is gonna be a LOT heavier than stock. What front suspension should i do? Someone said i could probably use Mustang Cobra font suspension as they have a pretty heavy block?
Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by winslow33
...Will the stock mustang throttle cable be long enough?
There is no mechanical linkage between the gas pedal and the throttle, you'll have to fab something up or replace it with an old gas pedal.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:57 PM
winslow33

my dad's got and old-school junked and seized '79 Ford truck that had a 460. Gonna steal the motor mounts and throttle set up, fab them to fit.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Someone took your 460 and replaced it with a 302

Quick Reply: Windsor in a 'stang