Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Vibration - 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 PM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

Default Steering Wheel Vibration - 2010

Just started noticing the steering wheel shake on my 2010 GT. Seems to be there from somewhere around 40 MPH to 60 MPH. It is really noticeable if you let go of the wheel.

Has anyone had any luck with this common issue on the S197 being resolved by your dealer? I figure I will take it in for the free balance and alingment and see what happens, just wanted to see if anyone had another cause I could bring up while I was there.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're running the OE tires and wheels, then certainly have the dealership rebalance AFTER you make sure the wheels are properly seated against the rotors and the lugs torqued correctly. If you're running aftermarket wheels, be sure the rotor clips have been removed from any of the wheel studs.

If it persists, insist they do a RoadForce balance.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Vibration - 2010-rotorclips.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I think every one of these steering issues has been tire/wheel related but mine was actually a bad inner tie-rod. I disconnected the tie rod ends from the spindle and could pull/push the drivers side about 1/8'' in/out of the steering rack. Bad tie-rod joint. Tight as a prom queen now. Just something else to have checked...
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Go try a balance and alignment. My does this every now and then, usually when i gun it at about 30 and ease off and the shake starts at 50
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I dont know about the 05-09's, but it seems VERY common on the 10's for sure. Mine did it with the stock 19's on it. Then I changed to 20's and it still does it. I had every kind of balance you can imagine. Still there. The tabs from the rotors are also gone. Still there. Alingment, etc. Still shakes.

At this point it really doesnt bother me, so I stopped chasing it. But you would think Ford could build these so they wouldnt shake. I suspect that is the reason Ford went to electric steering on the 11's. They probably just tuned it out with the electric system.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 PM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

I'm totally stock, 18" wheels.

I am going to call the dealer tommorow and get it in there. I will try and make them do a road force balance, though honestley I do not know enough about that system and how available it is in my area.

In my head, if it does not happen on every 2010, then it should be something that can be fixed right?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
...... If you're running aftermarket wheels, be sure the rotor clips have been removed from any of the wheel studs..
Excellent, very very few people know that and end up chasing shakes endlessly.

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I dont know about the 05-09's, but it seems VERY common on the 10's for sure. Mine did it with the stock 19's on it. Then I changed to 20's and it still does it. I had every kind of balance you can imagine. Still there. The tabs from the rotors are also gone. Still there. Alingment, etc. Still shakes...
You may have the same issue of it being your wheels, aftermarket wheels are horrible I don't care who makes them or how much they cost, not to mention they're not always the right offset and backspacing then you add wider tires that alone adds a whole bunch of issues that can make it shake including an alignment if the tech doesn't know how to compensate.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:43 PM
kingnut
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
Excellent, very very few people know that and end up chasing shakes endlessly.

You may have the same issue of it being your wheels, aftermarket wheels are horrible I don't care who makes them or how much they cost, not to mention they're not always the right offset and backspacing then you add wider tires that alone adds a whole bunch of issues that can make it shake including an alignment if the tech doesn't know how to compensate.
spoken like a true drama queen.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even my '07 has it and I've had the RoadForce balance, clips removed (despite running OE GT500 takeoffs which aren't affected by the clips), yada-yada. It's there but I've learned to live with it and others with 05-09s have it, too. And since the '10 is no different then you're in the same boat. Then again, this isn't my first car that had a unidentifiable vibration. I suspect it's more of a drive train issue at this point. And quite a few 11' owners have already been stating that they have vibe issues.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by kingnut
spoken like a true drama queen.
If your going to make a comment like that..at least use something to back it up...or else you just come across as well.... a drama queen yourself...just saying.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration - 2010