Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many exhaust choices (I know not another one of these)- Which has the least drone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

Default So many exhaust choices (I know not another one of these)- Which has the least drone?

Guys, just picked up my 5.0 last night... gotta say I'm in love...

I'll be going pretty light on the mods at least at first since I'm heading back to grad school but one of the two main things I'm looking to do is get a basic bolt on exhaust.

Having only had Honda 4cyls (and a few of their v6's) I'm ready to unleash the sound of this 5.0 beast... It sounds amazing stock but I'd like to hear it a bit more...

My problem is the catch 22 of exhaust sound outside coming side by side with interior drone.

I do a lot of highway driving, and 4 hours of drone can get pretty annoying. I want more sound but I don't want it echoing in my interior.. Especially since I have no plan on doing anything to the stereo for a while to drown it out...

Been watching all kinds of youtube videos to get an idea of sounds but most are taken from the outside... only one that has stood out so far is the Flowmaster Hushpower...

Power bump would be great but my primary goal is the sound. Bigger plans for big power way down the line in a few years...

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

congrats on the new 5.0!
from video's i like the hushpower AB too.
some other low drone axle backs are Corsa, and the often overlooked MBRP axle back.
MBRP is very similar to Corsa, but cheaper.
the MBRP is all polished SS, very well made.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Borla prides themselves on no-drone products. I even have a new set of mufflers because the first set sounded a little droney to me. (Free from Borla that is)

Also I read somewhere that the hushpower mufflers are absolutely TERRIBLE for drone, supposedly they're loud in the cabin on long drives.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:48 PM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

starbai, congrats on the 5.0. You're going to love it! As for the exhaust, it not only depends on brand, but also on which exhaust system and even within that what rpm your engine is at. I only say that, because my Borla Stingers do have some drone at 2000 rpm's, but outside of that are good. A friend of mine has a different set of Borla's that have zero drone, but also are not as loud on the exterior, so it just depends what you want. I've heard Corsa's are known for zero drone, but I've only heard them on a Vette. I've also heard the FR500S exhaust on a 2005-9 and they sounded incredible, but not sure if they have them for the 2011 yet or not. Here's the 2010 link:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11109

BTW....You need to update your sig and show off that 5.0!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM
arnold66

Originally Posted by starbai
Guys, just picked up my 5.0 last night... gotta say I'm in love...

I'll be going pretty light on the mods at least at first since I'm heading back to grad school but one of the two main things I'm looking to do is get a basic bolt on exhaust.

Having only had Honda 4cyls (and a few of their v6's) I'm ready to unleash the sound of this 5.0 beast... It sounds amazing stock but I'd like to hear it a bit more...

My problem is the catch 22 of exhaust sound outside coming side by side with interior drone.

I do a lot of highway driving, and 4 hours of drone can get pretty annoying. I want more sound but I don't want it echoing in my interior.. Especially since I have no plan on doing anything to the stereo for a while to drown it out...

Been watching all kinds of youtube videos to get an idea of sounds but most are taken from the outside... only one that has stood out so far is the Flowmaster Hushpower...

Power bump would be great but my primary goal is the sound. Bigger plans for big power way down the line in a few years...

Anyone have any suggestions?
Corsa has no drone, there the only exhaust that I have heard that has no drone. The make three exhaust. Sport, Touring and extreme.

http://www.lmperformance.com/69648/73.html
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

Seems like the FR500S would be a solid choice. Are these what come on the GT500's stock? If so I would imagine there is no drone.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 PM
mtbker29
3rd Gear Member

Borla all the way!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tekzilla41
Are these what come on the GT500's stock?
No, but I don't believe they have any drone....at least I don't recall hearing any in the 05-09 I drove with them.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 PM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by arnold66
Corsa has no drone, there the only exhaust that I have heard that has no drone. The make three exhaust. Sport, Touring and extreme.

http://www.lmperformance.com/69648/73.html
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I assume the Corsa Sport would be the least aggressive?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by starbai
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I assume the Corsa Sport would be the least aggressive?
I have the Corsa Sports and my dad has the Corsa Extremes... both have zero drone. You pay a little more for them, but they are well worth the investment if you want drone free driving.

The Sports are a little quieter around town, but at WOT are just as loud as the Extremes. The Extremes have more of an exotic sound to them while the Sports are more 'classic muscle' if you will.

The video below is a mediocre attempt (on a windy day) to get a quick sound clip of both. You'll hear my car with the Sports first...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJXnwJF2zjA

Here is a video with the camera hooked to the back of my car to give and idea what the Sports sound like outside the car. Please pardon my 'forest gump' sounding voice... not sure what's up with that. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usIOpx7D-zo

Last edited by S197steve; 12-27-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: So many exhaust choices (I know not another one of these)- Which has the least drone?